Question

Trying to xfer data XP to Windows 7

I purchased a Asus computer with Windows 7 on it and I want to xfer all my data (emails included) from my EMachine with Windows Xp on it. I have an ethernet cable attached to both computers and a wireless adapter plugged into my new computer. When I do the xfer data wizard Windows 7 is asking for a key. I tried typing in the file name from the old computer that the wizard named the file but the next option will not highlight. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Do I have to have a wireless adapter attached to the old computer too?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trying to xfer data XP to Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to xfer data XP to Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Unlikely with today's wizards.

Let's discuss just the email for a moment. As you have read folk are discovering that Outlook Express is not included and Live Mail is not accepting all the content.

But about the transfer wizard. I did use it and not a single email transfered from old to new machine. And that's with Outlook 2003 being on both machines.

I had to copy that over manually. I also had to install all my apps.

--> But about the other failure. If you are going to use the ehternet cable between machines be sure there is no other active network or it may fail.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: transfer files
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer tells more about the wizard, including the option to use USB stick or external hard disk if you can't get your home network up and running.

Not using the wizard, but just Windows Explorer to copy files from XP to external disk and from external disk to W7 generally is fine also. No network needed, no wizard needed, only basic knowledge of Explorer (drag and drop) and,of course, knowledge of what to move (your own data) and what not (installed programs, Windows).

Kees

CNET Forums