PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Trying to switch HD..xp vs. Vista

by oiptoner / August 10, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

Have a Windows XP computer dedicated to a particular software program which will not run under Vista. Computer was slowing down with the probable problem being caps going bad on the mobo. Bought a cheapie Compaq with Vista and tried to replace HD with HD from old computer, thus having new machine operate under XP and not having to reload all the software. Mucho problems. First I had to re-register windows and then the time clock card I had installed was not being recognised. New computer was also short of old fashioned PCI slots so it is going back.

Before I run into more problems, what do I need to do to swith out the HD in a new Vista system and replace it with the existing HD with XP and other software loaded? Clearly the MS/Compaq combo I bought makes it difficult if not impossible. Machine will only need reasonable speed and 3 GB RAM, plus room for a wireless network card, the time clock card and an LPT card since the program does not recognise USB. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to switch HD..xp vs. Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to switch HD..xp vs. Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry that's not going to work out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 5:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista -> XP
by Willy / August 10, 2008 10:05 AM PDT

You need to replace the Vista with XP OS on your new system. There's no way around it since you say, Vista won't run the XP pgms. you need. The caveat here is that some newer h/w that runs under Vista *may not* with XP as no drivers are available, so check before switching to XP. If OK, then install the new XP OS from either a full/upgrade retail version to include OEM versions that are "generic" made for new builds. Beware of any false copies, etc., thus proceed to install the XP. Once complete you can install the old HD as slave drive to get data off of it -OR- install in an ext. USB case or cable adapter setup to xfer data that way. You will still need to install XP pgms. first before doing so. Its not easy but can be done, provided you're capable or seek pro help.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What if?
by oiptoner / August 10, 2008 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista -> XP

I see that eMachine has a system at Walmart that uses XP as it's OS. It also has a parallel port and two PCI slots so it would meet my requirements. Can I just pull this HD and replace with the old HD?

Collapse -
No, shouldn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What if?

See the links I offered on how to move it properly.

Collapse -
Read the EULA
by Willy / August 11, 2008 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What if?

EULA = end user license agreement

The OS provided to vendors varies and what you have to abide to. If you get an eMachine with XP installed, you can swap data from an ext. USB case with your old HD present for data xfer. You "can not" install the HD itself internally to boot from as the XP OS will prevent that. You can install it as slave HD and access data that way though. Your best bet is an ext. USB case, use it to access data on any XP system. If you do this, I strongly suggest you create a back-up ASAP on your new or any other XP system. This topic has been discussed alot in these forums, use the above "forum search" and review posts.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
OK, but new info
by oiptoner / August 13, 2008 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Read the EULA

It appears from all the answers that, given my level of expertise, I am better off starting with a clean OS , re-loading the software, and then transferring the data from the old HD. That said, I had an IT friend check the old unit out and he suspects it may have, what he calls, the "dot com" virus. He bases this idea on the fact that he cannot bring up the Task Manager window no matter how he tries, and the fact that we can no longer connect to our wireless internet. I am clueless about the Dot Com virus...what it can do and how to get rid of it. We are going to work on the system tonight. Any ideas on the best sites to get info on this virus? Thanks.

Collapse -
Protection
by Willy / August 13, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, but new info

If you can confirm a particular virus, then check any of the bigger AV pgms. support website and see if they provide a "removal tool/pgm." that scan for that. If you don't now you should have some AV& malware pgm(s) to help protect you. McAfee offers "stinger" to do a quick scan of common malware, use it and any other free pgms. The spyware, virus, security forum can direct you with provided links, etc. and other help. On anotherr system just google for the virus name and go from there. Once removed, think protection whether free or not for continued use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Found problem
by oiptoner / August 13, 2008 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Protection

Old system practically came to a standstill, but no indications of obvious mobo problems. IT friend did a backup and was able to determine that Nero 7, which came loaded on the machine, was running in the background and using 87% of the processors capacity. Isolated Nero and rebooted. System runs fine.

Is this a frequent problem with Nero or is this just a fluke? By the way, thanks for your help. Your advice will be put to use on another machine I need to upgrade.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?