Computer Help forum

General discussion

trying to save data from XP hard drive

by paulold / March 27, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

I came home today to discover a power outage killed my pc. It's a pc that was running Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP2. I'm hoping to salvage the data off the harddrive if it wasn't totally fried. My question: Would a computer running Windows 98 be able to read the harddrive that was in my XP pc, just enough to get the files off? I'm thinking I could convert my XP's internal harddrive into an external drive just long enough to grab the data off it. Possible? Thanks for your quick response!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trying to save data from XP hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trying to save data from XP hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: trying to save data from XP hard drive
by caktus / March 27, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

Certainly cannot hurt to try. Probably the only problem that may arise is the XP OS may not recognize the new hardware.

Charlie

Collapse -
Probably not. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 27, 2008 9:10 PM PDT

W98 uses a different file system. W98 uses FAT32 and XP uses NTFS. Only, maybe, if, possibly, a long shot, if the XP was installed using FAT32.

Collapse -
reply to: Probably not. . .
by caktus / March 27, 2008 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Probably not. . .

Since it is on a separate HDD shouldn't it work regardless, assuming that the XP is finicky about being placed on a different computer w/o having first been uninstalled from the first computer?

Charlie

Collapse -
It is not impossible
by lacsr / March 27, 2008 9:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
How about a mac?
by paulold / March 27, 2008 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: It is not impossible

Actually, now I'm thinking I will try putting the harddrive into an external enclosure and use my Mac Book Pro to extract my files.

Collapse -
That works too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: How about a mac?

If the MacOSX is recent enough.

Collapse -
Here is what you could do...
by megamannt92 / March 27, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

Well if the hard drive was not surged in the power outage....you could unplug the internal HD from your Win 98 computer and plug in your XP drive to that computer. If the drive boots to Windows XP you could get the files you need and upload them to a USB thumbdrive. If it won't boot, try to boot in safe mode by pressing F8 when your system first starts up.

If however, you are sure that your Windows XP filesystem is FAT32 you could access those files under Windows 98.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.