Question

Trying to run an old 32 bit program on Win 7 64 bit

Hi,
My wife has been running Pagemaker 7.2 (Win 95) on our Win XP, Vista and Win 7 32bit machines with few problems. I just bought her a new Win 7 64 bit machine and it will not install. Any thoughts before spending $600 for InDesign???? She loves Pagemaker and Hated the InDesign trial. Her new machine is an i3 with 6G of Ram. Could I install it on one machine and copy the files to another??? Thanx!!! JP

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trying to run an old 32 bit program on Win 7 64 bit
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to run an old 32 bit program on Win 7 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I run 32 bit programs all the time.

But the fact this was for Windows 95 suggests the issue is not the 32 bit one.

It's a shame you only supplied "will not install." Maybe there are other discussions about this. Let's find out.
http://www.gordonwoolf.com/2009/07/pagemaker-works-in-windows-7.html

Ahh, there is 16-bit code in that app and that's why it fails. Not a 32-bit app at all.

I see XP Mode cures that and far less bucks than 600.
Bob

- Collapse -
I tried all the compatibility modes from Win 95 to Vista.

I tried all the compatibility modes from Win 95 to Vista.

It won't install. When you try, it gets an hourglass, and then just fades away..................

:-0 JP

- Collapse -
As we found out, this is not a 32 bit app.

As such, only XP Mode can cure this AFAIK.

- Collapse -
I will try it again. JP

I will try it again. JP

- Collapse -
XP Mode alternative at link.
- Collapse -
It doesn't work in the compatibility mode ...

it requires the Windows XP virtual machine in Win 7 64 bit. This is different than compatibility mode.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html
"NOTE:Windows XP Mode can only be installed on Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 7 Professional (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit and 64-bit)"

- Collapse -
It doesn't work in the compatibility mode

I tried a virtual machine a few years ago on her Vista machine and it was more trouble than it was worth. It wouldn't print; I had to e-mail files from the virtual machine to the main machine to get them to print.
Any better now?? JP

- Collapse -
(NT) Yes. And try VmLite first.

CNET Forums