Computer Help forum

Trying to ressurect computer after old driver load crashed

by DBruceWerks / October 11, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

I have a Lenovo X61 Tablet that runs Vista. Recently I wanted to get some files off some old Iomega 100 MB Zip discs and so I got a Parallel Port external Zip drive and proceeded to load the drivers that came with the drive.

They were old (pre-Vista by a long shot), but I was used to such programs going on-line to see if there was an update to use instead. Well, it didn't. It went ahead and loaded what it had. And, in the process messed up my ThinkPad!

Now, Vista won't boot at all! Instead, I get a black screen that says my recent installation caused a problem and the following program is corrupt or missing. - Winload.exe. Status 0xc000000e.

Now, they say I can put in my Windows installation disck and use the repair function. However, Lenovo doesn't send such things with there machines. They use what they call ThinkVantage to give one the "ultimate" help. But, it wants me to return the system to factory specs by doing a total reload of software they originally loaded.

I happen to have a lot of other programs and data on this machine, so I am trying to repair the program(s) affected rather than reload all. I'd even go for an update to Windows 7 if that would do it in its updating process. But, that says to have the earlier OS running to start, I read.

So, any ideas on an approach that will get my system up and running with out having to go back to square one?

Thanks to all who try to help, in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to ressurect computer after old driver load crashed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to ressurect computer after old driver load crashed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Can you boot to Safe Mode?
by Coryphaeus / October 11, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

If so maybe Windows System Restore?

Collapse -
No good.
by DBruceWerks / October 11, 2011 11:27 AM PDT

No, I never get that far. Black screen is immediately following POST, so I don't get the message that the something happened closing down and do I want to start in safe mode or normal. I'd love to get back in where I could do a Restore from a certain date. That would make it easy. I think the Driver Program I loaded must have corrupted the base windows file and therefore, it can't start at all. Thus the fatal error message.

I might be able to replace the file they reference as corrupt by overwritting it from another computer if I put the hard drive in another housing and connect to the other computer via USB or such. But, since this is Vista upgraded by SP2, I'm not sure that will work. Depends if I can find the same version of the program on another computer and use its file, maybe?

Thanks for the try. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
It sounds like the Master Boot Record . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 11, 2011 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: No good.

If you had a Vista CD you could boot from it and go to the Recovery Console. There is a DOS command that will fix the MBR. The command is:

Got any friends that might have the CD? Speaking of findting the CD, if you can do that you may be able to do an "over the top" install which will reinstall Vista but leave all your programs and data intact.

Failing all this, you may have to bite the bullet and use the Levono restore.

Collapse -
I found this . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 11, 2011 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: No good.
Collapse -
Will be checking suggestions. Thanks
by DBruceWerks / October 12, 2011 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I found this . . .

I work long and strange hours sometimes and so I've been slow to see these messages. Complicating it has been the BlackBerry problem, since I usually count on it bringing my messages to me when I'm not at my main computer. Their mess has left me message-less for a few days.

I'll get after these potential fixes ASAP. I do need to find a Vista set of disks. I think one of my pals has one. Just will take time to coordinate getting them from him.

Thanks to all and please check back here as I will post progress in the resurrection.

Collapse -
Next time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 11:48 PM PDT

If I recall you can boot up today's version of UBUNTU from CD (this is called a LIVE CD) and it would support copying files from Parallel Port ZIP to your NTFS drives without installing UBUNTU or touching your working OS.

Even if you don't use UBUNTU for that, having a backup bootable OS that you don't have to learn would be a good idea.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?