Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

Trying to replace harddrive

by geddoe / January 29, 2009 8:32 PM PST

I got two harddrives in my IBM netvista, one with my windows xp OS and another 20gig drive on teh side. Im trying to replace the 20gig with an 80gig but whenever i try that or even remove the 20gig i get a '1962: OS not found' error. The second drive doesnt contain anything relevant to the OS so why can't I replace the drives. I dont know much about jumper settings but the main drive didnt have any and the second was set to 'cable select'

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to replace harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to replace harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 9:48 PM PST

Cable Select is today's best way to use IDE 80 conductor connections and cable. But you left out a small detail such as where this drive is connected.

Tell more like this.

One end of the cable is on the motherboard, it's BLUE.
From the motherboard along the cable the next connection is GREY and attached to my ______ Make, Model hard disk.
At the other end of the cable is a BLACK connection and it's connected to my _____ Make, Model hard disk.

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Just a wee bit more.
Bob

Collapse -
And just as an experiment ...
by Kees Bakker / January 29, 2009 9:55 PM PST

what happens if you remove the OTHER disk and reboot?

Kees

Collapse -
Well, I'm an idiot...
by geddoe / January 30, 2009 5:06 AM PST

Turns out I've confused between the two drives and I've been frantically removing my main drive for the 80gig -_-''

The first reply was just as helpful as the whole time I didn't realize the black cable was for the master drive which is where it was.

So I actually did remove the 'other' drive and almost dropped a brick when it booted until I realized what I've been replacing the entire time. Swapped the 20 for the 80gig and now everythings working perfectly. Thanks fellas.

Collapse -
Glad we could help. Thanks for posting back.
by Kees Bakker / January 30, 2009 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Well, I'm an idiot...

A new view on a problem often does wonders if you're stuck.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!