Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trying to reformat and NTLDR is missing.

by NsxMugen / March 1, 2008 1:55 AM PST

Hi everyone, I tried to reformat my Dell 630m notebook, but it won't allow me to get into the setup screen because when it saids "Press any key to continue.." then it saids "CDBOOT: NTLDR IS MISSING." As of now, I cannot boot up to the window screen and whenever I tried to, it just restart itself. Very recently, I have experienced that my cd rom is running very slow. I tried to install a game and it took me several hours. On the other hand, it took my friend's notebook about half an hour. Could it be that my cd rom is dying and I need a replacement for it? Also, I tried to put in a clean hard drive into my notebook and see if that was the case. However, it was not, and it still saids "CDBOOT: NTLDR IS MISSING" and it saids "Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart." I've ran out of ideas about how to fix this notebook. In fact, I called Dell and they said it would cost me $49 to fix this problem because my warranty was over. To avoid this fee can anyone please help me? By the way, the OS for this notebook is XP Home Service Pack 2. If I needed to buy a new cd rom for this noteboo, how do I change it? Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to reformat and NTLDR is missing.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to reformat and NTLDR is missing.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"my cd rom is running very slow" = FINE CLUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 2:02 AM PST

That's a sign. Try the usual CD/DVD lens cleaner, retest your boot with a few bootable CDs. Fail? Replace the drive. It's a cheap laptop CD/DVD recorder found at newegg.com or geeks.com. I'll give it a rating of 2 lightbulbs out of 5 as to PC technician skills. (they use a screwdriver.)

Bob

Collapse -
Computer Emergency
by Phil411 / March 2, 2008 12:54 AM PST

If you bought your computer from an authorized dealer it should've came with an system recovery CD or a cd with the OS it. If so put the disk in and restart the computer, on restart the cd should load, and as this is a Windows system it should ask if you would like to boot from CD, select yes or press any key, once the disk is finished booting, select install windows xp, normally you just have to press enter, it would then such for existing OS installations and would ask if you want to repair the current installation, format and install, ect. choosing repair installation would leave all files on the drive intact,and would just install OS files such as NTLDR, however as you were trying to format the drive you can choose format and it will format the drive and install XP. As with the slow CD drive it may need to be replaced. Different computers have the CD drive installed differently such as on my HP there is a screw that holds it in place, remove the screw and push the drive in to eject it. Some laptops may have a latch or button like on wireless card adapters that eject the drive.

Collapse -
NTLDR is missing.
by NsxMugen / March 3, 2008 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Emergency

Hi, I tried many times with different XP cds and it still gives me the same error message. Could it be that my cd drive is mal-functioning? If so, which one one should I buy and how do I change it? Also, I couldn't find the manual on how to switch the cd drive, if you find one please let me know. Thank you.

Collapse -
Computer Emergency
by Phil411 / March 5, 2008 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: NTLDR is missing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!