Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Trying to pick a new media creator...

by Nettyhead / March 2, 2007 3:46 AM PST

My computer came with a trial version of Roxio Easy Media Creator. I used it to make 6 DVDs of our vacations to Australia and New Zealand. It had it's bugs and limitations, but it was my first time making DVDs so I just went with it. Now the program has ceased to function for some unknown reason and I am looking to buy the full version of something. Roxio has horrible reviews so even though I successfully used it before I want to get something else. It also has a lot of functions I don't need. I just want to make slide show DVDs and capture video from my digital video camera. Can someone give me some software suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to pick a new media creator...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to pick a new media creator...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other notables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 3:50 AM PST

Try the demos from Ulead.com and if you get deep into video creation look at Sony Vegas.

Bob

Collapse -
Slide Shows
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 5:33 AM PST

The most advanced slide show program is ProShow Gold by Photodex.
I have created about 50 DVD slide shows with ProShow Gold.
It has foreground and background sound/music, Ken Burns effect (pan and zoom), and a menu system that lets you have multiple menu pages.

You can download a trial copy that lets you try out all the bells and whistles.
www.photodex.com

Collapse -
ProShow
by Nettyhead / March 2, 2007 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Slide Shows

I downloaded ProShow Gold and I am playing around with it.
What do you use for the external editors? The Roxio had an internal audio editor that worked great for trimming and cutting soundtrack. Does the full version of ProShow have the audio/video/sound editor with it?
Also, I find it annoying that you can?t expand the folders list. I have photos in subfolders in ?My Pictures.?

Collapse -
ProShow Gold
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: ProShow

Here is a link that shows the features:

http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/compare.html

You will see:
"Built-in audio trimmer"
"Built-In video trimmer"

It is probably in your trial copy....you just have to find it.

I am still using the older 2.0 version which does not have these.
But I found that I don't need the audio trimmer.

When adding your background music (Options/Soundtrack) there is an option called "Offset from previous track". If I want to start music just as the previous music is ending, I set the "offset" to a minus number (i.e. -6 seconds). Which (in effect) chops off any dead space at the start of a song. By using a larger negative number you can overlap the ending song with the beginning song if you care to. All settings in the Soundtrack window, can be adjusted to the fraction of a second. (i.e. 5.25 seconds)

If you do decide to buy ProShow Gold....I suggest you buy the boxed package (which includes a user's manual).

There is also a very active independent User's Group for ProShow Gold.
They have come up with some terrific special effects.
They are very helpful to people with questions.

I don't understand your problem about expanding folders.
I am able to see all photos in all folders.
If the window is too small, you can make it bigger by dragging the sides/top/bottom.

Collapse -
I figured out the folders
by Nettyhead / March 3, 2007 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: ProShow Gold

You have to select "Open Non-parent Folders" in the Window menu to expand the folders.
Ulead certainly has a cuter user friendly interface, but the download is quite limited and I can't tell if it would have all the manual options I would want. These programs are so expensive; I want to make the right decision. I already know how to use the Roxio and I would get that if the reviews weren?t soooo bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?