HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trying to Outwit Teenager

by Mark B. / April 22, 2004 10:26 PM PDT

I purchased NetNanny in order to limit my teenage daughter's IM time. She has since discovered that if she reboots the pc enough times, NetNanny eventually will not load properly, and she can IM to her heart's desire. NetNanny customer service was not much help - although they did suggest I disable the ability to restart the pc from the START button, the command they gave me does not appear to work with my XP pc.

Does anyone know another way to disable the shutdown command or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to Outwit Teenager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to Outwit Teenager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Trying to Outwit Teenager
by Mailman / April 22, 2004 10:29 PM PDT

Not really. If the Start Button doesn't work,
there is always the "Power" Button.

~Dave

Collapse -
Re:Re:Trying to Outwit Teenager
by Mark B. / April 22, 2004 10:44 PM PDT

Actually, as far as I can tell, my Dell pc only has an "ON" button - it won't allow me to reboot or power down with it. It's not like with my PDA or cell phone, where you just hold the power button a little longer and it turns off. Trust me - I have had the machine locked up a few times, and pushed that button every way I could with no luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Trying to Outwit Teenager
by Mailman / April 22, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

Then there is always the plug. LOL.
Either way the machine can be rebooted.

~Dave

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Trying to Outwit Teenager
by mmallory00 / April 22, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

Put a power-on password on the machine(bios). When she restarts, she will need the password.

Collapse -
by spikeman--2008 / April 22, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

With a Dell its F2 to get into the BIOS. Also you need to hold down the power button like 5 seconds before your computer will power down.

Collapse -
by Mark B. / April 22, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

That sounds like the ticket, but now that I know how to get into the BIOS, how do I add the password? Is that one of the options given, or do I have to add/change a program line?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Trying to Outwit Teenager
by Papa Echo / April 23, 2004 1:07 AM PDT

At BIOS, Look for security or similar. Then Power On or similar. You will be asked to enter a password and then enter again to confirm. Then save and exist. The procedure is usually intuitive. Becareful not to set a 'system' password, as this is for getting into BIOS.

Collapse -
by spikeman--2008 / April 22, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

I suggest adding a BIOS password. When your computer comes up with the splash screen when you turn it on you can go into setup F2,Del or some other key and enter in a boot password. Once set you have to enter in the password to continue the boot into windows. That way your daughter will have to have you enter in the password to reboot into windows. If she is really smart then you should padlock the computer from her getting inside and removing the bios jumper to clear the password..

Scott

Collapse -
by Rog / April 22, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

1. Power-on password
2. Lock the door to the PC room
3. Permit only supervised access
4. Uninstall IM
5. Give her the 'phone bill
6. Flat of hand against buttock...

Collapse -
by retired / April 23, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

is it really possible to outwit a teenager????

Collapse -
by Mark B. / April 23, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

I guess that depends on how much free time you have. Apparently, they have waaay too much time on their hands - that is, until you ask them to do something for you.

Outwitting them is probably only a temporary state.

Collapse -
by glb613 / April 23, 2004 3:40 AM PDT

Tell her should be glad she isn't my daughter. Any child who would have that much disrespect for me and the rules wouldn't have any internet time.

Collapse -
outwit
by lawsonbunch72010 / December 11, 2007 11:16 PM PST

AMEN!!!

Collapse -
by ZaGreatLlama / April 23, 2004 6:08 AM PDT

Hi Mark,
When your daughter goes over to a friend's house, do you tell her she can only say so many words before she has to come home?
I didn't think so, so why would you tell her she can only talk to her friends for so long?
Please tell me the logic behind it if I'm missing something, if not realize that IM'ing is just like talking on a phone and will not get anyone killed.

Collapse -
by freebirthfreddy / April 23, 2004 6:19 AM PDT

I really hate to help turn this thread into something other than computer advice but i really think that you can just say "time to get off the computer" and your daughter should get off of the computer. dont fall into the trap of using some special technology (like net nanny) to do what you should be doing in the first place- parenting.

buy the way, im also a teen and I think that your daughter should darn well listen to you.

- no hard feelings right? Wink
AJ

Collapse -
by Mark B. / May 3, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

No hard feelings (thanks for asking).

Actually, when I ask her to get off the computer, she does. But, there are times when I can't watch her every minute. If my wife and I both need to be away from the house for one reason or another, she might spend that entire amount of time of the pc - could be thirty minutes, could be a few hours - she's old enough to be left at home by herself for limited amounts of time.

We've tried the (self) timer thing, but what teenager is going to actually stick to a time limit you ask them to? And, I don't want to be a nag, checking on her every half hour.

I kinda figured this would promote a little responsibility - she knows she's only got a certain amount of time - so, she has to use it sparingly. If she knows that most of her buddies are on around 9pm, she won't spend all afternoon on.

There are a lot of people who have "wonderful" suggestions - "kick her butt," "kick her off the pc," "do your job as a parent," "send her to her room," etc., but I haven't seen any realistic suggestions. Obviously, there are any number of books out there to help us in this area, but that is only one of the many concerns we have to deal with at the moment (I won't bore you with details)

Basically, every child is different, and you have to deal with them differently. Suggestions from any number of people I know who have teenagers are not necessarily going to work, because their kids are completely different, and are motivated by different things. We are trying to figure out exactly what makes our daughter tick, and how to raise her to be a confident, happy, contributing (etc) member of society. Who has THE answer?

Sorry for the novel....guess we'll just have to deal with this the best we can.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / May 3, 2004 2:00 AM PDT

Sadly, this problem cannot be solved by focussing on the copmuter. You need to get real-consult a child psychologist, who will study the reasons and causes of your daughter's behavior. The causes may be deep rooted, reaching back to her childhood years. Is she trying to get your attention ? Is she lacking something ? You love your daughter, and you need professional advice to help HER; and the first step may be the family doctor, or her school personnel. Remember that it is not yours or anybody's fault.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by netspirit / May 3, 2004 8:01 PM PDT

As a parent of two teens (15-girl) (17-boy) and a teacher for 25 years, I KNOW first hand that this parenting advice DOES NOT work with some kids.

With technology as advanced as it is today, there has to be a technical solution. I use BellSouth Internet IM Blocker. From any computer in my house I can logon and uncheck her access. She would have to know my password to lock back on. Happened last night. She had been disrespectful, had not kept promising about doing her chores, so I kicked her off with the click of the button. MUCH MUCH MUCH more powerful than all the words I could say, yell, or otherwise get across to her. Taking her AIM away, is good parenting. Just saying that you can't get on the computer does not keep her from logging on. But after I clicked that check off, you wouldn't believe how respectful she became... AND my kitchen was finally clean.

Collapse -
by Mark B. / May 3, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

Two reasons, mainly....one, if we don't limit her, she would NEVER get off the computer (she doesn't spend much time on the phone, but if she started living on it, we would limit that, too) and two, there are three other people in the house who would like to use the pc.

To address the other comment....IM'ing is not necessarily like the phone, and CAN get you killed. My daughter (and most of her friends) have huge IM lists of people they freely share with each other. She probably doesn't know who a third of the people are whose IM's she has. She also doesn't seem to understand that the stranger who is IM'ing her just might not be the 15 year old high school student he says he is, but a sexual predator, trying to get enough information out of her to find out where she lives. I have read enough articles and watched enough news shows to be very wary of IM'ing.

I realize I have to let her grow up some time, but parenting a teenager is new to me (and my wife) and we're trying to strike a balance between giving her the freedom she needs and keeping her safe.

But, I guess the main thing is the time spent online. Actually, at the moment, we are using computer time as an incentive for her to bring her grades up. Better grades = more computer time. She gets a bad enough grade - she's off for a while. There are only so many things we can take away from her for discipline - taking away her precious computer time really gets her attention!

Collapse -
The power tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2004 12:52 AM PDT

1. Use the HOSTS file to misdirect the name lookup.

2. Use the TCPIP security to close all ports except what you want.

Both can be set so only the Administrator can change them back.

Bob

Collapse -
[NT] How about using GPEDIT.MSC?
by Gakada / May 3, 2004 5:06 AM PDT

Collapse -
by provert / May 3, 2004 6:55 PM PDT

well you might try this it could deture your teen from rebooting. go into cmos and activate the security setting for a logon password for the system. this will require a pass word for the system to continue the boot up process before it reaches windows xp. this would prohibit the teen from getting back ojn the computer after attempting a reboot. just an idea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.