Question

trying to install HP LaserJet 5100tn on OSX 10.6

(don't worry after this post i will also try to post to an HP forum!)

i have an old HP LaserJet 5100tn which was shared from another machine, no longer in my network. i have also since i had it on a network upgraded to 10.6.8

now i am trying to hook it up to my machine. i have it hooked up to a router, my machine to the same router. i have an IP address for the printer 192.0.0.192 according to the printer settings, but not much beyond that. i can not see the printer on the network

can anyone direct me to some support documents/links?

thanks, cs

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: trying to install HP LaserJet 5100tn on OSX 10.6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: trying to install HP LaserJet 5100tn on OSX 10.6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I doubt that 192.0.0.192 is your network.

Take a look at your computers IP address and you will probably find that its IP address is 192.168.x.x, depending on whose brand of router you have.
Linksys & Cisco tend to go with 192.168.2.x while Belkin goes with 192.168.1.x

If I am right, then the IP address of your printer is not even close to your network and will need to be changed.
When you change it, it would be best if you allocated it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of your router so that it always had the same IP address, even after a power failure.

I suspect that the majority of your problem is the IP address with only a small part of the problem being drivers.

P

- Collapse -
the IP address set by the printer

i guess the IP address was self assigned by the printer when i reset it. you're saying that my Mac is assigned an IP by the router? and not something like 10.X.X.X or something i am used to? i am so clueless as to this stuff

well at least you gave me something to go on!

and i think i do at least have the drivers!

thanks, cs

- Collapse -
IP addresses,

It is usual for home networks to use the 192.168.x.x range of IP addresses for those computers that are wired into the router.
If the router is also a Wireless Router it should also be using the 192.168.x.x range.
Apple Wireless routers use the 10.10.x.x range of addresses, as do some others.

In a "straight out of the box" network, each of the workstations is configured to ask for an IP address from the router. The router than assigns an IP address to that workstation. This is known as DHCP and is the default method in Windows and Mac machines.
It is the easiest way to go as the router takes care of IP addresses, Gateways and DNS settings, all of which is passes on to the workstations. It is possible, using DHCP, for a workstation to have a different IP address after it is rebooted. Once again, not a problem, as the router takes care of it.

Network Printers, on the other hand, are better suited to using a Static IP address, something outside of the DHCP range that is used by the router. You would set that up manually on the printer. Your workstation needs to know exactly where the printer is, and what its address is, in order to connect to it for printing. In the event of a power failure, or the need to reboot it, it retains its original IP address.

If you were to tell us what your Router brand is, we could be a little more helpful in this problem.

P

- Collapse -
my router is a Netgear EN104tp

your last reply i made a conscious decision to look at the name of the router, but failed to put that information in the last reply. duh

thanks again for helping out!

cs

- Collapse -
That is not a router!

it is a network hub and, as such, will not be handing out IP addresses on your network.

Now we will have to shift the focus onto the modem.

You did not mention whether you have DSL or Cable as your Internet source.

With DSL, the modem is usually a combination Modem/Router and sometimes Modem/Router/Wireless.
With Cable, the modem is usually just that. A modem. (although in certain circumstances it can act as a router but it is not generally used in that way)

Which is it that you have and what model of Modem do you have?

P

- Collapse -
more information on my setup

P- thanks for helping me through this.

i do have a cable modem, Actiontec(?) from Verizon (Fios) but i have an Apple Airport set up to distribute the wireless signal through the house. the modem has 4 ethernet ports, so it must be a router. BUT my home office is on the third floor one floor above the cable modem/airport base station. i do have an airport extreme set up on the third floor and i have a DVD set hooked up to it by ethernet. i can relocate the extreme to the printer and plug it into it by ethernet if you think that would work? easier than running ethernet up to the third floor. i'll give that a shot tonight

alternatively can buy an actual router and set up an independent network?

again thanks so much!

- Collapse -
That AE on the third floor.

Apple has a nice built in function with their wireless routers.
They are capable of extending a wireless network as long as they are within range of one.

So if your third floor office can "hear" the wireless network from below, then it will take that signal and rebroadcast it out on the third floor.

This Apple article tells you how to do it. In your case, with no ethernet cable between floor 2 and 3, you should read up on the Extended Wireless Network section.

Either way, the 5100 printer will need an ethernet connection to function as a network printer. This means, of course, that it will need to be plugged into the Extreme on the 3rd floor.

Do not purchase a 4th router! You already have three.

P

CNET Forums