Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trying to install HP 4500 Printer to Network

by Menty / January 5, 2005 4:47 AM PST

The HP printer is a color Laserjet 4500 that is hooked up to a Cat 5 cable network to a Unisys "hub or box" along with three computers on Cat5 cables. Windows XP has the driver, tried installing the driver for network and/or sharing but that is were I'm having the problem. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to install HP 4500 Printer to Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to install HP 4500 Printer to Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please help. ...
by Cetin Denislam / January 5, 2005 9:03 PM PST

Your description lacks pertinent info regarding the environment that you're trying to install. So, let me establish that you're trying to setup 3 XP PCs in a workgroup and a HP 4000 as a network printer. All are connected by means of a hub (or switch). Although it's not clear that the PCs are now working in the workgroup, you ask a punctual question regarding "How to install the HP 4000" as shared in this environment".

The important steps are:

1. Your PCs should be configured as static IPs (class C) in the same workgroup.

2. Your HP 4000 should be configured with a static IP address in the same class. For details, read:

HP Jetdirect Print Servers - Configuring TCP/IP through the Front Control Panel of an HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, or Business Inkjet Printer

In particular, under the "Basic Configurable TCP/IP parameters" section you should set:

BootP= No
DHCP=No
Auto IP=No
Manual: Yes

Enter a static IP address in the same class C range.

3. In windows XP, under Printer and faxes your HP4000 should appear as TCP/IP printer. As well as it is important that under port settings you should have the HP IP address (set at #2) and the Port number as 9100.

Could be other smaller details, but the above is the sketch for your environmen't setup.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Web link down for HP
by Menty / January 6, 2005 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Please help. ...

Thanks for your info, the link from HP isn't working, is their another site for this info. I've tried finding it a HP myself.
The PC's are functioning great, just need to activate the printer. The hub is a Linksys all PC's and Printer are plugged into it with Cat5.
Where do I find the Class C range and Static IP settings.

Thanks for your help. Menty

Collapse -
Web link works for me ...
by Cetin Denislam / January 6, 2005 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Web link down for HP

1. ... in four different browsers. Anyway, an alternative method is to enter in the HP support page under search field the following phrase. It'll find the article for you.

HP Jetdirect Print Servers - Configuring TCP/IP through the Front Control Panel of an HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, or Business Inkjet Printer

2. OK, if your workgroup it's working and assuming that it's a switch integrated in the Linksys router, the landscape changes a bit. The router should have a DHCP server that supplies IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. In this case, you should configure the HP 4000 as static IP with let's say 192.168.1.100 or set it as DHCP=Yes and HP 4000 should fetch the IP from the router.

In the rest, consult the HP article and also take note of the 9100 port in the HP 4000 printer properties.

You are welcome and *Good Luck*,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!