Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trying to install 2nd hard drive, cable inputs different

by lunaray / July 11, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

I assumed when I bought my second Dell, I could just take my old floppy drive and slave drive from my old one & put it in the new one. However, the new computer won't recognize the floppy and the inputs on the back of the drive in the new computer are totally different than both drives in my old one. The drive I want to install is a Seagate Barracuda 120gb. It uses a 20 pin cable, but the drive (NCQ SATA)in the new computer has a much smaller cable input & I can't figure out how to install it. Any input?

On a separate note, is there any way to connect two computers, such as with a serial cable, to read the drives on the second one (without using a router).

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to install 2nd hard drive, cable inputs different
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to install 2nd hard drive, cable inputs different
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my Dell 4700 is same too with different hard drive connectio
by madspeed / August 21, 2005 12:03 AM PDT

Did you find out a solution to this? I'd like to know b/c i'd like to hook up a slave too.

Collapse -
Trying to install 2nd hard drive, cable inputs different
by Themisive / August 21, 2005 12:45 AM PDT

As regards your first query, as far as I know they cannot be directly connected, BUT as SATA is relatively new, most current motherboards that support SATA also support IDE, so you should be OK.

As to the second, yes there is. As you are posting on this forum, I assume you have Windows XP installed, this OS features a connection system to an older computer to remove all data and such. It's called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" and should do what you require there.

Collapse -
Try a SATA to IDE adapter if there is no IDE in machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 1:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
SATA to IDE adapter
by lunaray / August 21, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, that looks like the solution.

What I had done is to remove my DVD player and put the hard drive, which I have in a Vantec cooling unit, into the DVD slot. I was able to transfer all files that way, and was thinking if I ran another cable from the DVD's cable to the second hard drive slot, that might work. Another IDE cable in addition to another hard drive might cause heating problems, though.

Thanks, madspeed and Themisive, for your replies.

Collapse -
Cabling
by Merl Priester / August 22, 2005 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: SATA to IDE adapter

The DVD drive is in fact on the correct type of cabling that you need, the possible difference would be that CD/DVD drives can use a 40 conductor cable, whereas most newer drives require an 80 conductor cable.

If the cable does not have 3 connectors on it, one for the mainboard and 2 for drives, the get a new 80conductor cable and replace it. If it is already the correct type you can jumper the drives as Master/Slave or CS(cable select). Look at your DVD and see how it is jumpered to use the system it needs.

Adding a hard drive should not cause overheating. If the cable is blocking airflow, you can gently roll the wide conductor cable and zip tie it inbetween the connectors.
Be careful not to pull on the wires at the connectors.
I bought an MSI mainboard once that had the wires pre-done this way, but they were in a netting material.
I have been doing this on every machine since. Makes it much easier to route the cables as well since they behave as rounded cables without the price.

Collapse -
Here's the thing, Merl
by lunaray / August 23, 2005 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Cabling

I have a DVD player and a CD player in the computer, so in order to do this I was thinking I would have to put in another cable. In fact, I realize now there is no way to plug one cable into another to extend it to the 2nd hard drive bay. Plus, the small plug (I think this is the power?) is also different.

Also, this is what I meant by possibly blocking air flow, because I'd be putting an additional wide cable in there.

I think the adaptor that Bob's link points to would probably be the easiest solution.

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.