General discussion

Trying to improve performance. Need Advice.

My brother is constantly frustrated with his comp because of how slow it is and how often the programs will lock up and freeze. I want to help but not exactly sure what I can do. I don't have his computer specs on but here is a link the the product.

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1831-03

It is the exact same one my brother has and has not done any changes to it since he bought it last year. I've already defragmented, scanned for virus, and nothing like that helped. Any advice is appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Trying to improve performance. Need Advice.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to improve performance. Need Advice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Help

Buy a ssd hard drive its alot of money but it helps and it is fast or just format the original but before you format get the re installation disk for windows or just go to walmart and buy a pc booster

- Collapse -
Link, comment.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114078

Hmm, that's not a machine I'd expect to lockup too often. How sure are you this is free of malware, or damage from malware?

Also try the old heat test. Remove the side cover and see if the lockups take longer to occur or vanish. Be aware that with onboard video, this is not a fast machine.
Bob
- Collapse -

I'm quite sure It does not have any kind malware but it doesn't hurt to double check.

- Collapse -
Details

OP: Most of the problems come with at startup and when opening up new programs. It tends to lag quite a bit.

- Collapse -
Here's the web page for the latest driver for your

brother's graphics/video onboard chipset.

If, after installing this newest driver, it still lags, look to see(opening the side panel of the tower) if an expansion slot is available. A PCI-E x16 slot. It is the one farthest from the back of the mainboard and, closest to the main processor of the machine.

I think that it is gobbling all the available RAM in it. You will need to separate the tasks of graphics/video processing from the main computer board. By installing that independent card, it will coordinate the memory needed for itself and, synchronize the whole thing with the sound chipset that is on the mainboard already. Two processors + one is way better for apps. multi-tasking.

The cause for all this huge slow down is the slow mainboard and processor. And, seems to be a 6 years ago type and design of a machine.

Good Luck!

- Collapse -
Well

Well, it's a little difficult to say without knowing what it is your brother is trying to do with the system.

At an old job, there was one guy who was always complaining about how slow his system was. They had a 4 year rotation cycle for getting new computers, and this guy was probably only a few months from a new one. Anyway, he absolutely insisted on having things like Adobe Creative Suite... The whole thing... Open all the time, and a bunch of other large programs. All on about 2GB of RAM I think. No less than about 4 different people went out there to look at the system, kept turning off a bunch of things the guy had running, and imagine that, the system ran much better. Until he turned around and started all of those things back up after the tech left.

Then there's the fact that eMachines is now an Acer brand, and Acer isn't exactly known for building quality systems. They've been fighting it out with HP for who can build the worst system ever since HP and Compaq ended their battle in a merger.

Something I always tell people, is that with electronics of pretty much any kind, you get what you pay for. You buy the lowest of the low end, and it's going to be a pile of rat droppings. Any computer that has an MSRP of under $500, you don't want to touch with a stolen 10ft pole, because that is a loss leader system. They are selling it for less than it costs to make it, and the idea is they can make it up on things like accessories and extended warranties. But if you know you're going to lose money on every unit sold, how much would you invest in making sure it was a solid bit of hardware? It would probably end at whether or not it powers on.

So, while you can't rule out malware or things of that nature, there's also a good chance that your brother basically bought himself a headache in a box. With electronics, you can either pay more up front in cash, or you can pay in installments of torment and frustration over the course of owning the device.

And I'm going to have to disagree with everything speedy said. A SSD is not likely going to help you much, and there's really no point sinking much money into that system. And virtually any performance boosting program you could find at a Walmart will be all but certain to make things even worse.

Finally, defragmenting has little to no benefit. It's one of those bits of information that stopped being useful to all but a select few people many years ago, but simply refuses to die. Windows is the only OS that still bothers to even include such a tool, and even Microsoft has gone to pretty great lengths to try and bury it deep in the scary technical areas of the OS where most people won't dare tread.

If the system is locking up, start by updating the drivers. If that doesn't work, then start cutting back on high end programs like games, see if things stabilize. Make sure you open the case and clean out the dust bunnies with a can of compressed air. That's something you should do roughly every 6 months, so odds are your brother's system is long overdue. But he should be bracing himself for the possibility that he bought a low end POS, and this is as good as things are ever going to get with that system. Live and learn. Next time, you don't go shopping for a computer based solely on price... And if some system seems to have really good specs at a really low price, run away as fast as you can.

Next time, I'd suggest avoiding any sub-$500 system, regardless of brand, unless it's a short term promotional price. I'd also avoid any HP or Acer brand, which includes Compaq, Gateway, and eMachines along with HP and Acer obviously. If that means you have to save up a little longer before buying a system, it'll be worth it in the long run.

- Collapse -
Hmmm...

I understand everything you posted and I thank you for that info. To be honest, his comp was bought by my parents and as much as I told them to wait for me to go with them they went ahead and bought one. I had a feeling it wasn't very good but I tried to make it better in whatever ways I could. I guess he'll have to put up with it and hopefully he won't get too frustrated. Thanks for the help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info