Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

trying to get internet to work on laptop

by joni330 / February 2, 2009 6:39 AM PST

Hi, I have my daughter's computer home from college to work on it for her. (She had 'lost' her task bar and all her desktop icons and could do nothing with it. Thru here I was able to fix that.) Now I cannot get it connected to the internet, either broadband or wireless. She received wireless fine at school but I took it to a wireless cafe (I do not have a router on my home desk top computer to get wireless here) and it could not get internet. I first tried unplugging my modem/cable wire and plugging it into her laptop but it will not work either. My neighbor has locked wireless but now that does not show either. (It used to show as available but locked.) When I go thru the steps of adding a new connection thru the connections tabs I end up getting a msg of: Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address. For assistance contact the person who manages your network......I'm thinking there is something that I have accidentally switched off or on that should not be that way. Would you please tell me what I can try to get this working? (I tried one site answer that had to go in and uncheck the box with "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" click ok and then go back and check it again. That did not work.) I also tried system restore back to a few weeks ago when it worked fine but that undid my repairs to get the desktop and icons back so I had to fix that again by doing this: Alt-Ctrl-Dele on the wallpaper screen, enter "regedit" in the new task, click ok, bring you to registry window. Follow the route:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe )

The computer is HP, Mobile AMD, processor 2800+, Windows XP, Home edition,Version 2002, service pack 2.

Obviously I am a novice with computers but if given specific directions I can follow them easily. For twelve years I've been able to fix just about any problems with the computers by going thru google.

Thank you for your time, Joni

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trying to get internet to work on laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trying to get internet to work on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try running the Network Setup Wizard.
by Coryphaeus / February 2, 2009 11:28 PM PST
Collapse -
I'm pretty sure I've tried that
by joni330 / February 3, 2009 1:12 AM PST

Well, if that is the same as the 'New Connection Wizard', I have tried that repeatedly and got the end result as listed above. Please let me know if it something different.

Collapse -
Not the same . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 3, 2009 1:41 AM PST

Click Start, Settings, Network Connections, and choose Network Setup Wizard. This will activate the Ethernet device and set up Networking. Just follow the prompts for your specific setup.

Collapse -
That doesn't work either....
by joni330 / February 3, 2009 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Not the same . . .

I did try this a few times yesterday. And twice just now...I get "The wizard found disconnected network hardware". And then there is something about checking the "Ignore disconnected network hardware" which I did but still will not not connect. A while ago I had this trouble with my desktop and it was just a matter of checking or unchecking something within one of the files but I don't remember what.....any other suggestions? (Thank you so much for trying so far!)

Collapse -
"I first tried unplugging my modem/cable wire and plugging
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 2:46 AM PST

"I first tried unplugging my modem/cable wire and plugging it into her laptop but it will not work either."

For many cable modems that never works UNLESS you do this.

1. Power off the cable modem.
2. Move the ethernet cable.
3. Power up the cable modem.
4. Boot the PC.
bob

Collapse -
Did that too.....
by joni330 / February 3, 2009 3:00 AM PST

I automatically turned off the modem each time 'just in case' each time I tried. (And frankly forgot to turn it back on once and went all thru the setup with it off.) Thank you tho.

Collapse -
And the firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Did that too.....

Please tell such details so we don't repeat what you've done.

Next up. Firewalls. Some block DHCP and you get your issue.

My buddy made a fine 20 by the owner setting the firewall to "Maximum Security." Fast money.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry...
by joni330 / February 3, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: And the firewall.

Sorry, thought I'd included all pertinent details. Didn't even think to mention that; felt I'd already rambled on...

I don't think her computer even has a firewall. And her other settings are set to medium from what I recall seeing when I was looking around.

Collapse -
XP Sp2, Vista has one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry...
Collapse -
Wireless Card issue
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 2:00 PM PST

Go to the device manager and ensure it is detecting your wireless card, has the correct drivers and it enabled. Make sure the wireless button the hp is not turned off either. If you need download the drivers for the wireless card from the hp.com website and reinstall.

Collapse -
can't get this stuff to work
by joni330 / February 11, 2009 1:41 AM PST

Some of these suggestions are over my head. I tried the one and got so far and the prompts (steps?) listed were not on the computer. I have found the "operating system cd' and the 'application and driver recovery dvd" that came with the computer. Can I just take the computer back to its original condition with these? And if so, which should I use or what order, etc. She only wants the computer to go on the Internet and IM, etc. She'll be getting a new one in about six months, but would still like to be able to use this one for the basics.

Collapse -
That's why repair counters are full.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2009 2:39 AM PST

I see more people taking it in for things like this.

"Can I just take the computer back to its original condition with these? And if so, which should I use or what order, etc. "

Likely yes, but since I have not make or model to work with I couldn't see if the maker has instructions.
Bob

Collapse -
try the drivers disk first
by ghettovision / February 11, 2009 11:00 AM PST

try the drivers disk if that does not work, backup any important documents and install othe operating disk to reinstall windows. you will lose all your work

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.