Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

trying to find a player to fill Archos' Studio 20 big shoes

by metukio / July 31, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

Hi all,

I've bought my Archos Jukebox Studio 20 several years ago from Ebay, used. For the past year or so it has been having problems - the screen tends to show gibberish and then all text disappears completely, at some point it started freezing after some play time and had to be shut down and turned on again, and today it refused to even turn on, making strange noises on the headphones while at it.
I've been thinking of buying a new player for a while now, but I have some demands that no player seems to be able to fill:

1. Size - has to be over 20 GB (my Archos is almost full).

2. Simplicity - I can't stand having to use another program to upload and download files to my mp3 player. I want a player that, like the Archos, can simply be plugged in and be recognized as another drive on the computer. I also want it to play any mp3 file on it, as sorted by file names and directories, without relying on id3 tags or anything like that.

3. Durability - it has to be tough, though that is not as important as the above, since I think most players are sturdy enough for my kind of use.

4. Price - I want something in the area of 100$-200$, but will go up to 300$ if no other choice presents itself.

Video, photo, radio and recording capabilities are not in the least bit interesting to me. They might be an added bonus, but by themselves aren't a winning argument.
Anyone has any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trying to find a player to fill Archos' Studio 20 big shoes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trying to find a player to fill Archos' Studio 20 big shoes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stay with the Archos
by cjohnbrown / July 31, 2007 1:12 PM PDT

Archos is about to release the 605 which while filled with alot of extra also has and fits all the criteria you asked for. I have the achos av500 and while I have not had a problem the last two year I think I just really want this upgrade. Check out www.archos.com and the forums at www.archosfans.com

Collapse -
Will it survive?
by metukio / July 31, 2007 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Stay with the Archos

What makes me a bit afraid about the new Archos models is the fact that they have a large touchscreen, which obviously makes it a weak spot. Do you have any experience with this? Do they have any rigid case to protect them?

Collapse -
Should be okay
by cjohnbrown / July 31, 2007 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Will it survive?

I have never owned a touch screen archos but that is because the one I want doesn't come to America till late August. But I have not heard any problems with the 604 model. The case that I have seen covers the entire player very well and will be good for protecting the screen. They also have third party case that are pretty good. you may actually like the 404 series which has the same memory, but is smaller, without touch screen and wifi. Check out http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_404/index.html?country=global&lang=en and http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-404-30gb/4505-6499_7-32028044.html?tag=prod.txt.1 the price is better and maybe better suited for you needs but I will be waiting for the 605.

Collapse -
I'm starting to think I won't have much choice
by metukio / August 1, 2007 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Should be okay

Looks like the only alternative to the Archos Jukebox is a newer Archos Jukebox...
From what I've seen there isn't much difference in price between the 604 and the 404, so I might as well go for the 604, and have a larger screen with better resolution. Do they both come only with the 30GB hard drive?

Collapse -
Both Come 30gb
by cjohnbrown / August 1, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Both come in 30 but the 605 has a 80gb for an addition $50 and 160 for and additional $100. And the 04 line has the 504 which I believe has a 80gb hard drive. The 04 line should have some good deals out now because of the new 05 line coming soon. I do not know your usage style but I should let you know that the 504 is a little bit heavier and the 604 I think has a 100gb version.

Collapse -
Thanks a lot
by metukio / August 1, 2007 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Both Come 30gb

I got a lot of important information here.
Again, thanks.

Collapse -
No Problem
by cjohnbrown / August 1, 2007 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks a lot

If you have any other questions let me know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?