General discussion

trying to figure out what digital camera to buy

Im having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what digital camera to buy. everytime i decide on one, I find a review that is negative, and it totally turns me against the camera, it seems like this is happening with every camera i get my mind set up. I will just give an idea of what im looking for and see if anyone has some suggestions

Im looking for a digital camera i can take on backpacking trips and would like to spend $250 or less(on the camera itself). I want at least 3.2 MP and 3X optical. I perfer to have a lithium ion plate battery but would be ok without one as long as i could use rechargeable batteries. The top thing i want is decent image quality and reliability. Could someone help me out with some ideas?

thanks for any help offered.

caleb

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: trying to figure out what digital camera to buy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: trying to figure out what digital camera to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Backpacking Camera
- Collapse -
Ditto on the AA NiMH's

I wondered if they'd last as long... I have a canon A-95 that takes four. I tried to run them down a time or two just to break in the batteries... I got very tired of taking pictures of the wall. I took about 150 pictures using the lcd and flash and never ran it out. I decided they were ran down enough, so I pulled them and recharged.

The best thing is that if I somehow lose them I can get 4 more for less than $10!

- Collapse -
Digital Cameras

Almost any of the brand names are good for general use. I have an Olympus, but I have beeb reading good reviews on many of the Cannon cameras.
The best suggestion that I can give is to get one that uses the AA rechargable batteries. The lithium batteries are very expensive and the ones that came with my camera were not rechargable. In my experience they do not last that much longer. I use the NIMH rechargable. Get the ones with a higher MAH rating (2200 or higher). The higher the rating the longer the charge will last.
Best of Luck.

- Collapse -
ok

Well thanks to all that responded. I have a little of a better idea of what i might get. Im down to one of the olympus weatherproof cameras or the sony cybershot DSC-P73. When I read reviews of the olympus stylus 300 it said that the images are inconsistent. If i do go with the weatherproof ill probably get the 410 instead of the 300. Also, whats with the 'memory sticks' that sony has for their storage? I havent heard of digital cameras having memory sticks(what will i be looking at in cost if i have to get the memory sticks for sony?)

thanks!

caleb

CNET Forums

Forum Info