HolidayBuyer's Guide

Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

trying to download AVG free antivirus using dial up HELP

by hhsskk / February 28, 2011 8:34 PM PST

I have tried to download AVG free antivirus using dial up and after hours it just stops - I did download the manger hoping this time it would take me back to where it stopped when I got back onto the computer, but I do not know where to look or what I am looking for. Sort of hoped it would just pop up on the screen, when I dial in, but now I am OVER it as this is my second day doing this, can anyone offer me advice.. I am not that good with computers so please just in very basic language. I am using windows 7 and up until this week was using free Norton trial which came with this computer a emachine, I have uninstalled the Norton, thank you hhsskk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trying to download AVG free antivirus using dial up HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trying to download AVG free antivirus using dial up HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:trying to download AVG free antivirus using dial up HELP
by Zbynek_AVG AVG Staff / February 28, 2011 9:57 PM PST

Hello hhsskk,

Please download the latest AVG 2011 offline installation file(not AVG Download Manager) from this webpage.

Thank you

Collapse -
by hhsskk / March 1, 2011 7:09 PM PST

thanks for your reply, but, I am quite challenged with computer stuff. So I went clicked on this webpage and got to another page and it offered three download options, none of them said anything about being an offline installation file. The first one says AVG for windows and the size is 4MB ? is this the one you mean?? under it is the download manager the other files on this page say AVG for windows (32bit) size 147MB and the final one says AVG for windows (64bit) size 166MB. As well now that I have tried to download and partically downloaded AVG should I uninstall it somewhere? if yes where will I find it to do this? thanks for your help, regards hhsskk

Collapse -
Re: downloading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 7:30 PM PST

I think the best you can do is downloading the 147 MB file on another PC that has broadband connection (takes a few minutes), copy it to a USB-stick there and install from there. You might have a friend, family or work with cable or ADSL. Or use a wireless hotspot from a laptop.

Kees

Collapse -
RE
by Dusan_AVG / March 2, 2011 2:44 AM PST

Hello hhsskk,

As suggested by Kees, it will be best to download the full installation package on computer with broadband connection and then moving it to your computer via USB drive.

To find out which package you need, 32bit (147 MB) or 64bit (166 MB), check what version of Windows you have installed as described here - How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?.

Thank you

Collapse -
by hhsskk / March 3, 2011 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: RE

hi, I have just tried again, thanks for the information it seems my system is the 32bit and I tried the 147 MB. It worked I think, but when I got past the 5 hour installation with 100% complete, the next screen popped up with AVG antirkx:0 error and then AVG Install Progress Smart Scanning page with Cancel or Retry, I tried Retry 3 or 4 times but eventually I had to cancel as it would not continue. Then I got a screen that said 0xC0070643 and MSI Engine failed to install.
I feel I must almost be there, so can anyone help me get this finished. PLEASE - I do not have access to a Broadband connection or laptop as mentioned in above answers, so if you know what my problem is, PLEASE tell me - maybe I have to uninstall something to be able to complete this download? I would be VERY grateful for any answers, THANKS hhsskk

Collapse -
Re: Trying to download AVG Free antivirus using dialup
by Ondrej_AVG / March 3, 2011 2:36 PM PST

Hello hhsskk,

Please check your hard drive for errors.

Please make sure that no other protection application is installed on your computer and install AVG Free from downloaded installation file again.

If the installation issue still persists, please gather AVG installation logs and MSinfo32 output. Pack them in an archive, upload to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it. As we need them for closer analysis and finding solution to described unpleasant situation.

Thank you

Collapse -
Trying to download AVG Free antivirus using dialup
by hhsskk / March 6, 2011 6:50 PM PST

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying to this answer and THANKS FOR HELPING me, I am really guessing that the norton security I had on this computer - installed as a 'free trial' for 60 days is the problem. I have uninstalled it and gone through clean disk and now THINK I have managed to get rid of all of it. I am going to try and download the AVG again, and will be back online again tomorrow if it does not work. THANKS again, hope this is the end of this 'thread' hhsskk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.