Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Trying to downgrade from windows 7!

I started by popping in my windows xp boot disk, but then i get the error

"set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

so i follow this guide
http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/windows-xp-setup-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives/

which gets me to step 2:
^^^^Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section

I've seen this section called 'On Chip Config' on some Phoenix Award BIOS
On Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads it's in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)^^^^

So i look in my bios which looks like this
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/12/22/acer-aspire-phoenix-bios-information-screen.jpg

(thats not mine, mine only says phoenixBIOS setup)

but i have noooo idea where to Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section..

can anyone help me get past step two of my guide? lol

ps please help, im in china and this thread has taken me 2 hours to make im desprite.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to downgrade from windows 7!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to downgrade from windows 7!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Before going any further

In reply to: Trying to downgrade from windows 7!

Before going any further, have you taken the time to ensure all necessary drivers for your laptop exists? Given it's been 3+ years since Vista supplanted XP, it might well be that no such drivers exist.

A good litmus test, not that a lot of people like hearing this, is whether or not they can figure out how to install XP on a SATA drive. If a person can clear that hurdle, then odds are they can handle whatever else is thrown at them. Otherwise, it's like a giant flashing neon sign saying abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

And given XP is on life support, with that life support set to go away next year IIRC, it would be a rather idiotic move to install such an antiquated OS. The security risks alone should make you think twice. The closer XP gets to that final EOL point, the less likely Microsoft is going to be motivated to fix any security issues they might find in XP. If you have some old beater of a car, and you're already in the initial stages of selecting a new one, are you going to spend a lot of money on a new stereo system or reupholstering the seats, maybe getting the muffler replaced so it isn't hanging by a shoestring and a prayer? Of course you're not! So why would you expect Microsoft to act any differently? They've been wanting to shuffle people off of XP's mortal coil for ages now, and anything they can do to help gently encourage exactly that, is just fine by them. Bonus if it saves them money in the process.

XP is a rotting diseased corpse of an OS that should never have been allowed to exist as long as it did. So unless you're a glue maker by profession, leave this particular dead horse to nature.

Collapse -
lolo

In reply to: Before going any further

I may not make glue but i enjoy throwing horse legs at children...

anyways, im a complete nub when it comes to any tech.. i had no idea about any of this crap. I just wanted xp because my laptops not to good and it would run faster with xp.

but it seems the risks out way the positives.. plus i didnt understand the first part of what you said. lol not sure about the whole drivers thing..

anyways, **** it. thanx for saving me time.

Collapse -
XP

In reply to: lolo

Hi Blaziner

I also wanted to get back my XP..
I bought a system from Systemax with Windows 7 installed on one of the SandyBridge recall motherboards..

I bought the system cuz it was a great deal with Win-7 and i figured I am ready for an Up-grade..
I hated Win-7 the second it booted up.. BUT I swore I would give it at least 3 months.. I did and then I tried to dump it.. I looked at every forum and post available to dump it and get back XP,, nothing worked..
I called Systemax Tech and they couldn't help.. Even some of them didn't like Win-7 but they simply didn't know what to do because the SandyBridge Motherboard held on th Win-7 for dear life..

Ok,, fast forward to the recall,, they called me to say they were ready to recall my SB board and I asked them to simply NOT reload Win-7 back on it and to my surprise and delight they did Not reload it, instead they sent me what they called a "Raw" motherboard,, Nothing on it,,,,, Nothing.......

Ok,,, upon their sugg's I first down-loaded to a CD, All XP drivers and other kinda Universal drivers, you know for the DVD and Usb 3.0 and Most important,, the ethernet card.. Without that I couldn't get any other drivers..

I slipped in my Legal XP Home disc and that baby sucked it up like a sponge,, I loaded all my drivers and because I am very computer UN-savy and made some silly mistakes it took about 3 hours longer than it should have but in the end I got my XP Home to work Flawlessly on my "new" SandyBridge board with i-7 2600K and 4 gigs of big ram.. Gall darn, it sure feels good to have XP back..
This all took place about 6 months ago..

Maybe my story will assist you on your endeavor to dump Win-7,, hope so..

Now I gotta figure out how to keep using it when Microstupid dumps XP on me..................... jeeeeeze

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!