Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Trying to delete autocomplete entries...

by tomron / January 1, 2005 9:22 AM PST

in the search for files and folder section.Yes,tried internet options in IE,and also firefox options,though probably not applicable.Does anyone know how to accomplish this simply task.I tried the help section in windows.OS WIN 2K
Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to delete autocomplete entries...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to delete autocomplete entries...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
simple
by frankzxcv / January 1, 2005 10:45 AM PST

I think you can just highlight the entry in the list that appears and hit the delete key and get rid of it that way, at least, that's how I do it. - fj

Collapse -
autocomplete
by tomron / January 1, 2005 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: simple

Hi Frank,
Tried the delete key,did'nt work.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by roddy32 / January 1, 2005 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: autocomplete

Not sure if it's the same but probably is, XP IE6. Go to tools/options/content tab. At the bottom of that page there is an "autocomplete button. click that, then click "clear forms" or "clear passwords", which ever you are trying to do. Then click OK, then go back to the "general" tab on internet options and "clear history", OK.

Collapse -
Roddy tried internet options...
by tomron / January 1, 2005 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: Tom

and cleared everything,but still to no avail.OS 2K PRO.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, This Should Help Too
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 11:30 AM PST

If Roddy's information doesn't get it done, then most of the Autocomplete information is kept in the registry. Here is a link that should help you get rid of the "Search" information:

Clearing Windows Explorer/Autocomplete MRU Lists in the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q142/2/98.asp

The above information is for Windows 9.x/ME..In Windows XP and I believe Windows 2000, the normal Search/Files and Folders MRU listing lies in the registry at this path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603

One important note, DO NOT DELETE the "Default" entry. You should notice that each search item has a name, like 001, 002, etc. If the addresses you deleted destroyed the numerical order of those names, the Search will only show those numbers that are numerically sequential, starting with url1. In other words, if you deleted 005, then the Search window would only show you 001 through 4, even though you might have 006 through 20 still listed in the Registry. It is easily fixed though, by renaming all the remaining listings to be sequentially in order. (Right click the name, choose 'Rename" and name it to the next number in the sequence. In the example above, 006 would be renamed 005, 7 would be 6, etc.)They then will be listed correctly in the Search window.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How we doing Grif
by tomron / January 1, 2005 12:00 PM PST

I tried HKCU\Software\microsoft\then search assistant was no where to be found.The link you provided does not apply to 2K PRO.The removal of autocomplete entries works everywhere,with the exception of files and folders,if thats the case,is there a problem in the search files and folder area.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Sorry, I'm Not On A Win2000 Machine..Try This Path...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: How we doing Grif

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif,could not find...
by tomron / January 1, 2005 12:37 PM PST

Doc find in reg.The first link you gave me with stream MRU in it yielded many entries,with ones to delete,but if I click on one there is no option to delete,only to rename.I found this http://sillydog.org/mshidden.html
Look under 3.2. I follow this,and yields none.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Leave The StreamMRU's Alone...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Grif,could not find...

...although it really wouldn't hurt anything, that's not what you're trying to remove. Likewise, the "TypedURL's" are those Autocomplete items that are listed in the Internet Explorer Address bar..That's not what you're looking for either. You're looking for items that you have typed in the "Search" line.

I've done some searching on the web and the two locations I have given you so far are what I find. I may have to wait till tomorrow when I can get access to a Windows 2000 computer.

In the meantime, I found another possibility on the net:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tom, Yep, This Is The One
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Grif,could not find...

The path I posted immediately above should allow you to find the SearchMRU's for Windows 2000. Here's that path again:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU

I finally made it to a Windows 2000 machine. LOL

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif,autocomplete entries
by tomron / January 3, 2005 5:01 AM PST

I appreciate your perseverance.Does'nt it seem odd that I can delete autocomplete entries,with the exception of files and folder,this might be the common denominator of the problem.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Did You Delete Them Using The Registry....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 7:55 AM PST

....path I suggested? It should allow you to remove them.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif,I deleted and renamed...
by tomron / January 3, 2005 9:01 AM PST

but first I exported each one,just in case.So I presume it's safe to delete the one's I saved and the remaining entries in the registry,I can tell their not important,I know,not the defalut.I probably have to do this every time I want to clear the autocomplete entries in files and folders.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Grif,I forgot to mention...
by tomron / January 3, 2005 10:48 AM PST

You said in post in 10 leave the Stream MRU"s alone,and the registry path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU
note at the end it says Files Named MRU,am I missing something.Do you know what the letters stand for in MRU,could not find it in Webopedia.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, MRU= Most Recently Used
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2005 1:47 AM PST

There are a number of areas in the registry where "Most Recently Used" listings are saved. It saves "Search MRU's" as we have been discussing..It also saves MRU's from the "Run" line, documents opened, the Internet Explorer "Address" bar, Office documents opened, downloads made...lots of others too.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Shift-Delete works in Win2k and WinXP with IE 6
by Peter Ritchie / January 3, 2005 12:36 AM PST

try Shift-Del.

Select an entry in the drop-down (Ctrl-DownArrow or DownArrow & DownArrow to select the entry) then press Shift-Del.

Just pressing Del also works for me

Collapse -
Hi Peter,Shift+Del
by tomron / January 3, 2005 5:05 AM PST

Tried Shift+Del,does not work.Seems strange that I can delete autocomplete entries everywhere but files and folders.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Grif/Peter:Autocomplete
by tomron / January 4, 2005 3:28 AM PST

Peter,I understand what you are saying,I have OS 2K,but for some reason shift+del,del,or whatever I try won't work.I got rid of it via the registry,I know its all the way around the mulberry bush to accomplish this simply task.I do appreciate everyones time and effort,and Grif I know you put some into this.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
The history of "files and folder" searches
by Cursorcowboy / January 4, 2005 10:47 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Cursorcowboy,Tom
by tomron / January 5, 2005 4:15 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.