HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trying to delete a corrupt file, it cannot be found, help!

by PCchild999 / November 9, 2009 1:05 PM PST

When I try to delete the browsing history, passwords, etc., I get this message: "Advanced INF install failure. Reason: access is denied."
This box only comes up if I try to delete a downloaded program. I doubled click on this and it says Windows One live Care.
BTW, I have the Vista operatiing system..
For some reason, this program is hanging around in my PC. I cannot uninstall it. (I tried doing that with the CC Cleaner and it COULDNT unistall. It said that it couldn't find the file.)
How do I get rid of this Window One Live program? I dont want it.
I already have the McAfee security suite.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to delete a corrupt file, it cannot be found, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to delete a corrupt file, it cannot be found, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Registry
by jackyjee / November 9, 2009 5:53 PM PST

I think you may be having a registry file error. Have you tried running any registry cleaner on your computer?
Or the best option will be to reinstall your windows. Sometimes an antivirus can not catch a virus, try using another one? Hope that helps

Collapse -
What I'm hearing is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 9:04 PM PST

You get to uninstall Mcafee and/or Norton before One Care. I will not attempt to explain why this is so.

Also reading http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_remove_windows_onecare.html among others finds this One Care to be hard to kill.

It is not impossible to remove, just may tax the average user. Let's see if anyone finds a OneCare killer.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for the respones...but
by PCchild999 / November 11, 2009 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: What I'm hearing is.

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.
So this error is not easy to fix?
I found a link from microsoft that allowed me to attempt to unistall the One Care program, . I clicked on the "run as administrator," and it said that I had successfully uninstalled it. BUT when I tried to clean it off the hard disc again, I STILL GOT THE INF FAilure notice.
Is there a place in the PC that isnt allowing me to fully run everything as administrator?
I saw a dropdown box some where in the PC that had an "everyone and my name)" use option highlighted, but the Administrator was not highlighted. I remember that the tech set it up that way for me, but I dont remember where that box is.
I've already looked under user account in the control panel. It says there that I am the administrator. I'm really baffled.
So Registry Cleaner might help? What does anyone recommend and do you have to get the paid version?
Thanks for any replies ahead of time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.