Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Trying to Decide Between Zen Vision:M, Gigabeat S30, or iPod

Recently I have been looking for a new mp3 player and have come across the Creative Zen Vision:M (30GB), the Toshiba Gigabeat S30, or the Apple iPod (30GB). My only conerns with the Vision is how well it fits in my pocket because everything else about the player sounds pretty solid. My quesions about the Gigabeat S30 is how well does the GUI function and are there any flaws to worry about. And lastly, with the iPod (which i kinda dont like to begin with) are there any good features on it and anything it really has over the other two? Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to Decide Between Zen Vision:M, Gigabeat S30, or iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to Decide Between Zen Vision:M, Gigabeat S30, or iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forget the Gigabeat S30

In reply to: Trying to Decide Between Zen Vision:M, Gigabeat S30, or iPod

I have decided not to get the Toshiba Gigabeat S30 after finding user reviews by so many people about the terrible battery life. Otherwise it seems like a stellar player. Had it not been for battery I would have gotten it because all of the other aspects of the player sound flawless better than most if not all MP3/PVP's. However if it can't last through a couple days of average audio play time then it really isn't worth it.

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: Trying to Decide Between Zen Vision:M, Gigabeat S30, or iPod

OK, I might be a little biased against the IPod, but bear with me. I own none of these devices, but I have done a lot of research on all of them, and this is what I have found. First off, the Creative Zen Vision M. It is completely pocketable (it has the same size as the IPod Video, just a little thicker), and it has a bevy of features. However, some say that the scroll bar is a little too sensitive, and unless you get black or white (the former of which scratches very easily), it kind of looks like a toy. The Gigabeat pretty much has all the features of the M (minus a voice recorder). Also, the GUI is fine. It is actually quite well designed (I did try out one of those puppies). Also, it has that nice big screen. Another plus is that both the M and the Gigabeat are compatible with Amazon Unbox, so you can get all the videos (and more) of the Ipod Video. Now, the Ipod. It is the smallest device, and there is the famed scroll wheel. However, it doesnt have many cool features that many other MP3 players have (voice recording, FM radio, ETC...). However, there is really easy syncing of music and videos on the Ipod. My recommendation: If you are looking for something compact and feature filled-go with the M. If you are watching more videos and don't mind the lack of a voice recorder-go with the gigabeat.

Collapse -
Maybe not Giga for video

In reply to: Well...

stropyboy,
I've been researching quite a bit myself. I had pretty much decided on the Gigabeat based on cnet's review, but when I looked at some other sites there seemed to be problems with video. Apparently conversion is very slow and cumbersome if its not in prefered format. Even when converted, people have complained about the video being slow and choppy. They also said saving playlist was difficult

Not saying the gigabeat is a bad player, but the consensus seemed to be that if you were looking for video, the vision:M was solidly a better choice for ease, quality and supporting virtually all formats.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.