Question

Trying to decide between Acer TM8592G-6647 and HP dv7-4260ca

I'm still trying to buy a new laptop. My current decision is between an Acer TM8572G-6637 - It has a 2.53 Ghz I5 - 480M 4 GB ram 500 GB HDD.
The HP is a dv7-4260ca with a 1.80GHz Phenom II Quad, 4 GB ram, 750 HDD.

The Acer is $899 and the HP is $799. The HP has a 17.3 screen - which I would find useful for my work and eyesight. The clerk pointed out the Acer, as I would get more bang for a bit more buck. I do realize there is a difference in the power between the two - but is it worth it?

The HP has a 93WHR 9 cell battery, while the Acer has a 66W 600mAh 6 -cell battery. Not sure which would give the best battery life.

I am looking for a laptop that I can use as a desktop replacement some of the time. It would be nice to have longer battery time - if necessary.

I am hoping to be able to connect to my HD tv by HDMI to watch some shows.

I realize that the price keeps going up, as I seem to have more wants than needs. Also wondering on reliability. My old Acer laptop is still chugging along - it's XP and starting to bog down in many areas, as the technology has moved past it. I've had HP printers, but never a computer.

Any thoughts and ideas? Also wondering if the extended warranties offered/pushed by the clerks at the box stores are of value or not. Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trying to decide between Acer TM8592G-6647 and HP dv7-4260ca
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to decide between Acer TM8592G-6647 and HP dv7-4260ca
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My nod is to the i5.

It's favored at our office for many reasons. Hope this helps,

As to battery life, both appear to be 300 cycle batteries. I expect the life span to be the usual 18 to 24 months.
Bob

- Collapse -
Favoured for many reasons - could you please explain?

Thanks for your reply Bob. I would be interested to know what some of those reasons might be please.

Also, I had been referring to the length of battery use during a charge, as opposed to the battery life overall. One is a six cell and the other a 9. Don't know how much difference that might make. I do realize that a lot would depend on applications, graphics card and other factors. The last laptop I tried only lasted one hour. My 4 year old Acer that's being replaced can do that.

It's really become a challenge to find pick a new machine that is the right balance between features and not breaking the bank. Everytime I look the price goes up another $100. I'm not sure whether spending nearly double the first machine I tried is worth it or not. I appreciate all the information and help you provide. thanks!

- Collapse -
Sorry.

That battery runtime is something you get from the maker's specs and to check if those are true, you find product reviews. This is all volunteer so you get to do that.

As to the i5 nod, many in our office use laptops for Visual Studio, apps and more. The AMD offerings don't stack up well so we moved back to the intel line. There are AMD fans out there that will write about value for the dollar but time is money and we don't like to pay more in salaries so the choice is easy.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks - hopefully last question

Thanks for your speedy response. You mention running Visual Studio, etc. Just to clarify - I'm not a gamer or one running any kind of autocad or video editing. Many of the clerks I speak with are gamers at heart or running graphics intensive applications - so they push more powerful machines.

The majority of my work is document preparation. The rest is hopefully for using it to stream video to my HD tv, or to view my HD photos and little video clips shot with a Sony DSC-TX5. How much power do I really need and do I actually need a dedicated graphics card? I don't really want trailing edge - but can't afford bleeding edge either.

I'm just hoping to purchase a machine that will be able to avail itself to the features that Window's 7 offers and be a viable machine for the next several years before becoming outmoded itself.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

- Collapse -
Even for that.

Word spins up faster on our i3/i5 machines. Then again you might be able to go to a store and try a few simple tests such as rebooting the machine seeing if one really shows if it really works better at this or that.

For us, we just get the i3/i5 for laptops. We may look at the other again someday, just not today.
Bob

CNET Forums