General discussion

Trying to bypass router for troubleshooting

I'm trying to trouble shoot something on my new computer, and I was instructed to bypass my router and connect an ethernet cable directly to the modem. I know how to do that, but when I do, I don't get a connection, but I do get a connection when connected wirelessly. I've tried it with two different cables, both of which work when used for other things, so that's not the problem. Why isn't this working?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Trying to bypass router for troubleshooting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to bypass router for troubleshooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You've probably already done this but have you

cycled the modem off and then back on with the PC connected? You didn't mention the OS so I don't know if you have a network icon in your bottom corner taskbar where you can see when an IP address is being acquired. Otherwise, you type "ipconfig" (without quotes) from a command windows to see if you show an IP address and a gateway. If no valid IP address or you're using static addressing for the wired connection, it won't work but might work for wireless.

- Collapse -
Silly me.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't try that. Unplugging the modem worked, thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info