Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Trying to burn mpeg1 files to DVD, preserving properties

by obsessed / February 26, 2006 7:49 PM PST

Running Windows XP home SP2

I have edited a bunch of mpeg1 video files and entered a whole group of summary attributes, such as author, title, comments, category, etc. I want to burn these to DVD. However, when I right-click the file and try to send it directly to my dvd burner, I get a message that the "additional information" attached to the file will be lost, do I want to continue copying anyway? Then when I click yes, I get "error copying file." So I tried using another program, Sonic RecordNow 7.2. I clicked "add files and folders" and sent the desired files to the program, burned the dvd, and when I put it back in the drive to view the files, the videos were there, but, sure enough, the attributes information was lost. I am sure I do not have anything set to "read only." Why can't I burn the details with the videos to dvd? Is there a way to do this? It seems to work with mp3s.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to burn mpeg1 files to DVD, preserving properties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to burn mpeg1 files to DVD, preserving properties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What file system did you use on your media?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 8:46 PM PST

Such properties exist in metadata which may not exist in the filesystem on your media.

Bob

Collapse -
Can you explain what you mean by file system?
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 12:12 AM PST

Sorry Bob, still a bit new at this. Do you mean like NTFS & FAT? Because everything was done in NTFS. It is interesting because when I right-click on the file and click "copy" and paste it into my external drive, or my second hard drive, the properties come along. I tried sending myself the file via SendThisFile.com and the properties were again missing.

Collapse -
Yes. Just like NTFS and FAT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 12:18 AM PST

CD, DVD and such media have different file systems. Armed with this trivia, you can hit google.com about ISO 9660 and more.

Bob

Collapse -
do you mean that the blank media comes with a system?
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Or would the same thing happen on any blank media. Can you tell me how I can tell what my media has? I usually just google myself into more confusion when I am this uninformed to start with.

Collapse -
Blank media would be blank...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 12:29 AM PST

Your tools create a file system. But I noted just one that could be made.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm, unless you mean this?
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 12:21 AM PST

In my Sonic RecordNow program, there is a drop-down menu for file system, and it seems to be set to something called ISO+Joliet+UDF(106 character file names). I don't quite understand this stuff, but if there is a different setting that would work, I'll change it. The other 2 settings they have listed there in the drop-down menu are ISO+Joliet and ISO Level 2(212 character file names).

Collapse -
To understand such... google and read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 12:30 AM PST

My short version is just that. This space is too small to contain it all.

Bob

Collapse -
have been googling, reading and getting more confused...
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 12:33 AM PST

Is there ANY short answer about which file system to use to keep the properties along as it burns to DVD+R?

Collapse -
You are smart enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 2:17 AM PST

The trips to google get easier as you dig in and learn that you have choices on file systems when you put files on DVD media.

You may find that file system metadata is not supported on DVD file systems that you can create with your tools.

Where I would start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

5.4.5 at http://homepage.mac.com/wenguangwang/myhome/udf.html notes UDF could contain NTF attributes but your software would have to implement it.

The short answer is UDF however it is unknown if your selected software supports it.

Bob

Collapse -
I used UDF
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: You are smart enough.

with another software, Stomp RecordNowMax 4.50, and got the same results. I have been googling all afternoon, and can't find the answers.

Collapse -
One last software then we'll say not today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: I used UDF

Look at CDBURNERXP. It's free. Take a DVDRW, erase it and put the files on it.

MP3 files (as we discussed) have internal information and Explorer may read that PLUS consult the internet for the full info.

MPEG1 files don't have such metadata editing in Windows. You'll have to know a lot about the history of Windows why this is so. And MPEG1 is limited as to what information you can stick in the file. The properties therefore come from the file system for files that don't have tags.

Since you are using Windows, you find these limits.

Bob

Collapse -
not today? don't give up!
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 4:14 AM PST

I tried CDBURNERXP and got the same results. Also tried Nero Burning Rom. I don't understand what you mean when you say "The properties therefore come from the file system for files that don't have tags." I also don't understand your comparison to the mp3 files with the "internal information" -- these particular mp3 files that I have do not have any additional information available on the internet because they were personally created files. All I know is that I can transfer these properties on the mpeg1 files when I copy from one drive to another, but the properties disappear if I should try to zip them, "send to" anywhere be it email or My Documents, or if I try to burn them using ANY file system, trying several programs and several DVD burners. The tags exist and the files do have this information attached, because like I said, I entered the info, and it stays put when I copy the file to another drive.

Collapse -
Then you'll want a Mac.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 4:19 AM PST

It does support the AE extensions but such will not be usable on PCs since this OS does not support it.

As to the MP3 files, when you edited the tags, I could make a safe bet the MP3 ID3 TAGS (do you need an article about?) would be updated. I used the internet as reference since some get info from there to fill in the tags.

-> Bottom line? Not in Windows.

Have you looked at DirectCD and it's DVD support? I don't use it since I consider too unreliable.

Bob

Collapse -
I think this issue may go beyond the actual burning
by obsessed / February 28, 2006 12:42 AM PST

I am questioning, if this is simply an issue of UDF support in Windows when the disc is burned, why, then, do my properties summaries disappear when I try to zip and unzip the file, and when I try to email the file, but not when I copy and paste the file into another drive? Perhaps this can be solved in some way pre-burning and then burn the disc in a windows xp-compatible way? Any ideas?

Collapse -
There's more clues for you to digest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 1:07 AM PST

Notice that the MP3 information "sticks" when you put it into zip files. Why this is so is the MP3 (the standard) has metadata placeholders in the actual file. Mpeg (video) didn't have such. Your filesystem information can't be carried into the .zip file.

And then again, that's not entirely true. If some programmer wanted to, they could add such to their zip program. However here we run into the old standards and the ZIP format didn't carry such information.

Since we know such information "could" be added in the UDF system, it's a matter of the market calling out for it. From my experience, Roxio and InCD have not implemented this. Apple has.

Hope this helps you digest this.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for trying, but clues don't cut it for me...
by obsessed / February 28, 2006 1:18 AM PST

I kind of need to be hit over the head with direct information. These roundabout clues are only giving me INDIGESTION. I am not really understanding what you're saying about the metadata placeholders. Basically what you're saying is that there is NO solution... no program that exists out there today that will get me the results I need WITHIN Windows? Or is there one out there, but you're not telling me what it is because you want me to google until my brains fall out? My apologies for my frustration, I just wanted some more direct help. Thanks for trying.

Collapse -
we are all not smart enough to gain benefits from google
by obsessed / February 27, 2006 12:49 AM PST

I am reading a lot of extraneous information and unable to sort out what would be helpful to my situation. Let me just tell you this: I have just used the same program using the same file system to burn a bunch of mp3 files to dvd, and the properties summary came right along. What is it about these vcd mpeg1 files that is not allowing me to do the same thing?

Collapse -
mp3 has internal information. Which...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 2:20 AM PST

May or may not be used. I bet the information came from the mp3 file and not the file system. The MPEG1 comment (by you) shows that maybe your software does not support metadata (AEs).

Bob

Collapse -
Directly? Not today with common software on Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 1:54 AM PST

"no program that exists out there today that will get me the results I need WITHIN Windows?"

But then again, I'm a programmer and know how to fix this. But we only fixed such in our office since we wanted to keep metadata in our backups. So we backup the files then a special program runs and stores the metadata away. Then we can unzip and run our special software to put the metadata back into the filesystem attributes. No, it is not available. It's an internal tool.

This area is interesting since this "bug" or feature is something Microsoft didn't address even in their latest OS. The moment I get on a Microsoft Vista box I intend to test out if they addressed this oversight.

In closing I was hoping that running through how and where the metadata was stored you would gain a deep understanding of how and why this is. As well as when and when not it will work.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe you just don't have the right software.
by Art / February 28, 2006 5:19 PM PST

Nero6 ultra can do this. It's just data files on dvd or are you trying to made vcd on a dvd media?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If nero ultra6 then did you use InCD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 8:13 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes, I believe I used INCD
by obsessed / February 28, 2006 10:35 PM PST

I think you're right, Bob, the issue is with the udf 2.50... I tried another program also, Cyberlink Power2Go 5, also with udf 2.50, and windows couldn't read it.

Collapse -
thanks I tried Nero6Ultra
by obsessed / February 28, 2006 10:33 PM PST

I am making a data dvd... I tried udf 2.50 but Bob is right, Windows can't read it.

Collapse -
Apply helmet, boot Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2006 5:38 AM PST

I feel for your need and plight, but UDF is one nutty (non) standard.

If you try out INCD, I've found it only to exchange (all the time) with users of same version. As such, I no longer use it.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!