General discussion

Trying to build a great gameing computer.

I was Wondering if it is still possible to buy a high end mother board ( looking for atlat 3.2GHz) also the mother baords would have to be able to read 4 gigs of ram and two video card slots? if it is still possible to buy mother boards like this or tell me a good site to build a good gameing computer i would be amazingly greatful! any other things i should know about building a good computer please help me out!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trying to build a great gameing computer.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trying to build a great gameing computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That 3.2GHz sounds like you need to catch up.
- Collapse -
There are many, many mother boards that do this,

what it all really boils do too is what your willing to spend.

These sites might help:

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/

There are several other listed here as well:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS258US258&q=how+to+build+a+gaming+computer

It might be a good idea to work with some old computers first. Up grade your own PC by adding some components. You might start by creating a non-gaming computer first then work your way up. I'm suggesting this because gaming computers can be expensive, $1,000.00+ (US). Making mistakes with them can be costly. You have great deal of home work to do before you begin.

- Collapse -
can you afford $600 for two video cards?

if not, stick with a single video card since the combined cost of two 9600gts or better video cards will not match the performance of a single 9800gtx ($450) or 9800gx2 ($600).

you'll still get great gaming performance from a geforce 9600gt or radeon hd 3870 (both about $170), a geforce 8800gt/512 ($220), a geforce 8800gts/512 ($270) or a radeon hd 3870x2 ($420).

mobo-wise, motherboards based on intel's p35 chipset are great choices in the $80-$125 range. if you want to seriously overclock and really want dual x16 slots, look for a mobo based on the intel x38/x48 chipset ($170+) or nvidia 780i ($150+). but a p35 and ddr2-1066 will give you top shelf performance for less.

- Collapse -
also the mother baords would have to be able to read 4 gigs

That's true today but the OS you want to use will limit apps to 2.0GB or maybe 3.0 given some conditions. At most the Microsoft OS you would use to run games will report 2.75 to 3.5GB ram.

I'm going to decline explaining all the why's here. This is now discussed to death so I'll stop here.
Bob

- Collapse -
But Bob, we just got started!
Grin
- Collapse -
Sorry.

Microsoft has stopped here. How to explain that?

- Collapse -
but I thought Microsoft went on an

on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on, an on,........Ad infinitum, forever. Grin

- Collapse -
I just reread your submission it says

"Trying to build a great gameing computer"

Start with about $10,000.00 for a GREAT gaming computer.

- Collapse -
Then add

$600.00 per month for a T1 fiber optic Ethernet business connection and if you want to play on line multi player video games, add about $100.00 per month for there designated server connection, that's per game.

Then you'll have a truly "great" gaming PC.

What is a T1:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question372.htm

- Collapse -
multi- player

thts good but i dont play muli player just single. i really just wanted to know some of the good mother boards and procesors and most of you guys have helpd me with that thanks! and i'm looking to spend about three grand. but i want to try and stay away from intergreated mother boards so there is no shared ram

- Collapse -
blackbird

CNET Forums