HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trying set up a small home network with an external modem

by gramto9 / February 23, 2004 8:29 PM PST

I know I need two NIC's on my host computer. One to connect to the modem and one to connect to the router.
How do I connect both the host computer and the router to the modem when there is only one place in the back of the modem to connct to? Do I need some kind of adapter or spliiter back there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying set up a small home network with an external modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying set up a small home network with an external modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The correct setup is as follows.
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2004 8:38 PM PST

Connect the modem with the WAN-port of the router, and each computer on the LAN to one of the (most of the times 4 or Cool LAN-ports. Each computer on the LAN has one NIC connecting it with the router. All your problems solved!

Go to http://www.linksys.com/edu/ and click on "step by step" button for a very understandable introduction.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:The correct setup is as follows.
by gramto9 / February 23, 2004 9:26 PM PST

Well, I bought a Linksky's Broadband router and hooked it all up as manual described last night. I hooked the modem up to the internet port of the router and hooked both computers up to two of the four ports. I used the installation CD and configured my host computer and then the second computer. When I was finished the second computer had internet but the host computer was not able to browse the internet. I went to the Windows XP Help Center trouble shooter and it said if I had an External modem I would need two NIC's. One to hook to the modem and the other to hook to the router. Now I don't know what to do next. Any help is apreciated!

Collapse -
Re:Re:The correct setup is as follows.
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2004 10:37 PM PST

1. In the 'correct' setup there is no 'host' and 'second' computer. The situation is symmetric, and both computers are equivalent and independent. So best treat it not as a network problem, but as a single-computer-connect-problem.

2a. Independently try to connect both computers to the modem (without the router in between).
2b. If that works, connect them both independently with the router between the modem and the PC (just one PC at a time connected to the router, the router connected to the modem). If no connection, run ipconfig in a command windows and renew everything (type ipconfig /? for help). If one works and not the other carefully compare all settings.
As long as the computer can't browse when connected directly to the cable modem, it's unlikely it will work through the router.

3. If both computers work independently, they should work together also.

Moreover:
-'not able to browse the internet' is rather inexact. Can you ping the router, can you ping a location on the internet? Are all indicator lamps working as intented? Can you access the router menu in your browser (say 168.100.0.1 or something like that)?
What error message in IE?
- network card and drivers correctly installed?
- does a LAN-connection between both computers work?

Kees

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2004 10:44 PM PST

I can't find the Windows XP Help Center Trouble shooter here on this PC. Maybe the IT staff disabled it, as I'm not supposed to do troubleshooting myself (it's their work).

But are you sure you interpreted the information correctly? It's a highly uncommon configution.
Please tell the forum exactly where you found it. Then maybe somebody can tell you if you misunderstood something.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:And ...
by gramto9 / February 23, 2004 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: And ...

On Windows XP..... I went to Start/ Help and support.This opened up a central location for help topics, tutorials, troubleshooters, and other support services.

When it opened up I chose "Fix a problem" and the "Network Problems". I ran the "Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter".

It asked me to choose which problem I was having and I chose "I cannot browse the Internet from an Internet Connection Sharing host computer."

Then it asked me "How does the host computer connect to the Internet?" and I chose the response,"I have an external cable modem or digital subscriber line (DSL) connection to the Internet."

This is the info it gave me...
Internet Connection Sharing requires that your host computer have two network interface cards (NICs). One NIC connects the host computer to the Internet; the second NIC connects the host computer to your home or small office network.

External DSL or cable modem:
You need two NICs. One connects the host computer to the modem; the second connects the host computer to the home or small office network.

I have to get to work. I'll check back this evening to see if anyone can help. Thank you so much!
Shirley

Collapse -
ICS
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2004 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re:And ...

Shirley,

This is a very clear answer. ICS is a Microsoft program, best described as a software router running on one of the PC's. Kind of poor women's router, because you don't have to buy a hardware one, but use your main PC to serve as such. The second PC connects to the Internet through the first one, but only if the first one is switched on, of course.
The network between the two PC's should either be a direct cable connection (a 'UTP-cross-cable') or a switch/hub. A switch is cheaper than a router, but a router can serve as a switch.

ICS came with Windows 98 SE, and I'm inclined to say that ICS went when routers became as cheap as they are today. It's old technology now.

Forget about ICS and get both computers working with your new router.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Trying set up a small home network with an external modem
by Cursorcowboy / February 24, 2004 12:53 AM PST
You said - I know I need two NIC's on my host computer. One to connect to the modem and one to connect to the router. How do I connect both the host computer and the router to the modem when there is only one place in the back of the modem to connct to?

Later you quoted - External DSL or cable modem: - You need two NICs. One connects the host computer to the modem; the second connects the host computer to the home or small office network.

If I'm not mistaken, you're actually trying to get one computer to act as a server the way this reads. As Kees has mentioned, if you connect both computers from their respective NIC to router only, the router to the modem, and then the modem to the cable, you'll have an independent setup for the two boxes. If you go the other way, then the main box (server) will have to be on for the other computer to do anything since it's not connected.

I may be talking through a hole in my head, but I find this the most simple solution -- at least between the two boxes my better-half and I run.

Bill Gaston
Collapse -
Try another cable on the non-working machine.
by Michael Geist / February 24, 2004 9:15 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Trying set up a small home network with an external modem
by gramto9 / February 24, 2004 9:28 AM PST

While I was at work today my daughter called someone out here and paid them to get this all hooked up right. The USB adapter we were using was faulty. They hooked up another one and it works fine on both ends now! I hate she had to spend the money but it was her call since the reason for networking was to get her computer on line as well. Thank you all so much for your help!

Shirley (Grandma to 9!!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.