Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Try to help but cant

by sicsac / March 4, 2004 7:43 PM PST

Just tried to help some bloke in pc hardware section. I wrote alot of stuff and then went to preview message and nothing happens?????????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Try to help but cant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Try to help but cant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sometimes there is a hesitation between the time you press preview
by Rosalie / March 4, 2004 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: Try to help but cant

and the time the box with text shows up. Did you wait long enough? Did you maybe get disconnected from the internet?

Collapse -
You may have to break your response into parts
by MarciaB / March 4, 2004 8:53 PM PST

You stated: " I wrote alot of stuff and then went to preview message and nothing happens "

That is usually what occurs when you have posted a response beyond the length limit allowed. Break it into Part 1 and Part 2 and try that. Also, a trick alot of us use, is that if we are preparing a rather long and/or detailed post, we do so in a WP program then c/p into the message body.

Good luck,
Marcia/Oregon/USA

Collapse -
Re: Try to help but cant
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 4, 2004 10:52 PM PST

Hi, Sicsac, and welcome to SE!

Another possibility -- Sometimes things get hung up there. Copy your message into your clipboard, hit the "stop" button, and try again (sometimes you get a blank page -- a "back" will usually restore your message, or paste your saved copy).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Try to help but cant.........Yep Sicsac it
by John Robie / March 5, 2004 1:40 AM PST

happens with this system in long REPLY's ever since it came out in October. That is one of the problems on the wish list to fix, hopefully in the near future.

Marcia Butler has also indicated a remedy. You will need to make more than one reply post to get a long reply posted. It also happens to me and what I do is start with the very last paragraph, if it is a long paragraph then start with the last few sentences. Copy and paste it to either:
Word Pad or
Note Pad or
New Rich Text Doc

then while it is highlighted on the reply page delete that portion, hit the send button and see if it will go. If not then copy and past the very last paragraph or few sentences again on that reply and copy past as above, again delete that portion, hit the send button and see if it will go. Continue doing that until you get the 'reply' small enough that it will send.

Now, you have the uncomplete 'reply' seperate that you can copy/paste in a "Continued" post. Course as sometimes happens to me.... even that one is two long and I go through the whole process as above and make the REPLY in three broken posts....just put "Continued" at the beginning of the title (subject).

Course when a long post will not send some people will do it the opposite way. Just put it all on Word Pad/Note Pad, etc and start from the top down trying to fit a group of paragraphs in and work on down fitting into more than one REPLY post.

JR

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?