Samsung forum

General discussion

Trusurround XT Question

by sam_wheaton / January 14, 2009 3:00 AM PST

I have an LN40A550 TV connected to a old Bookshelf Stereo Amp. with two speakers using the Audio Out R&L jacks on the Rear Panel of the TV.

The User Manual indicates that "TruSurround XT is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system,
including internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats."

My question is whether Trusurround XT sound is being put though the Amp. and Speakers as referenced above? In addition, what would happen in the same scenario if the TV Speaker was turned off?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trusurround XT Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trusurround XT Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Working on it...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2009 4:50 AM PST

Quite honestly, I got stumped on this one.

Our television expert and I were debating this one.

I think your question is asking if the analog output carries the processed TruSurround signal, or if only the digital signal carries it (which would not include RCA). The television's speakers do receive a digital signal with the TruSurround, so I'll try to find out what happens when the analog conversion happens to external outputs.

I'm escalating this question a little higher, so I appreciate your patience while I get this answer. Happy

If your question is different, let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Response Update
by sam_wheaton / January 15, 2009 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Working on it...

Thanks for the update. I await your response. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Headphone Jack Output
by sam_wheaton / January 15, 2009 6:38 AM PST

While you are doing the research on the previous inquiry you may want to respond to the same question but this time using the Headphone Jack Output. Thanks.

Collapse -
Will do!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2009 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: Headphone Jack Output

I should have an answer shortly.

--HDTech

Collapse -
it might delay the signal?
by yarrjim / January 16, 2009 4:41 AM PST

Hi. Thanks for excusing this post, but I posted a similar issue in another thread which might contribute to this one:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?forumID=146&threadID=317590&messageID=2914129&tag=forums06;posts#2914129

On an LN 40A530 I'm connecting just two speakers (no amp, no receiver) via the Audio Out RCA ports to supplement the sound to a total of 4 speakers, and I'm getting a delay from the internal speakers. Curiously, the external delay is less when I use a different set of Audio Out RCAs on the tv.

I read the same section of the manual, so I've tried disabling the TruSurround, as well as tried various sets of changed settings in combination, to no obvious effect. I think I got rid of it once, but I can't replicate it. Yet, I hope!

Would this suggest that yes, the analog RCA out carries the digital signal, since this would explain why I get a delay from the analog RCA outs?

And if so, what to do about it? It seems it's a delay produced by the TV.

In the second set of RCAs that I plugged into, the delay isn't noticeable until you raise the volume to really add to the external speaker volume. At lower volumes the internal speakers just contribute to the total sound. To me this suggest the delay is less in the second RCA outs but still in the TV.

I'm hoping this little contribution helps get me a solution Happy Thanks!

Collapse -
RCA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 1:23 PM PST

Well, the RCA jacks will convert digital to analog.

The speakers in the TV receive a digital signal. So that transfer from digital to analog likely causes the delay in audio.

I remember one fellow on this forum who was trying to hook the RCA outs and use them as rear speakers, but couldn't because of the analog-to-digital delay.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
No Delay
by sam_wheaton / January 22, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: RCA

The previuos post did not answer the question. I am not experiencing any audio delays in the configuration I described previously. This issue as I see it is black and white. Is the integrity of the "TruSurround XT" effect maintained when using the Audio Out R&L jacks on the Rear Panel of the TV? I have configured the internal Speakers to be turned off in this scenario. This appears to be a Engineering question. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!