HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Truevector Services New Zonealarm problems

by Lindburgh / April 22, 2004 7:48 PM PDT

Who else has tried the new version of Zonealarm and got problems with " Unable to Shut down Truevector Services "?
I can not reload the old version nor load the new version.
Anyone know the answer ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Truevector Services New Zonealarm problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Truevector Services New Zonealarm problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Truevector Services New Zonealarm problems
by lofty4 / April 22, 2004 8:25 PM PDT

if you find the solution to this let me know

thanks stephen

Collapse -
by coolpapa / April 22, 2004 11:08 PM PDT

I had the same problem. I turned off the option in Zonealarm to start it up when you bring windows up. This didnt work the first time so I tried it again. The second time worked and I was able to update to the new version. I really dont know how it worked of whether it was just dumb luck. Hope this helps a little.

Collapse -
This might help. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 22, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

Go here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/znalmMain.jsp Click on Instant support. A dialog box will pop up and you can type in your true vector question. I found a possible solution but couldn't get the copy/paste to work in the window.

Good luck,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Collapse -
by coolpapa / April 22, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

I had the same problem. I turned off the option in Zonealarm to start it up when you bring windows up. I then rebooted the computer. This didnt work the first time so I tried it again. The second time worked and I was able to update to the new version. I really dont know how it worked of whether it was just dumb luck. Hope this helps a little.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Truevector Services New Zonealarm problems
by Lindburgh / April 23, 2004 4:01 AM PDT

Thank you but no
Iv'e rebooted etc. so many times and still get the message

Collapse -
Lindburgh, Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2004 4:19 AM PDT

1. Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to Configure panel, and make sure the "Load At Startup box" is UNchecked.

2. Right-click on your taskbar, select Toolbars, and make sure that the ZoneAlarm deskband is UNchecked as well (if it is checked, click on it to uncheck it).

If you cannot highlight the Desk Band by right-clicking on the toolbar, then highlighting Toolbars, try this: Click on the Configure button from the ZoneAlarm panel, then look for the "Show Shell Toolbar" checkbox -- make sure that this box is UNchecked.

3. REBOOT.

4. You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.

5. Now run Start, Programs, Zone Labs, Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to delete all files, and you MUST allow TrueVector service to shut down in order to remove files.

6. REBOOT, then do a full manual uninstall using the link below to remove all file and registry remnants. Choose the correct operating system from the page:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zapInstallFAQ.jsp

After you're done uninstalling, then clean out the Temporary Internet Files folder, delete all .tmp files from the computer, and run Scandisk/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive. Restart the computer, shut down all background programs, then reinstall ZA.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Lindburgh, Try This...
by Lindburgh / April 27, 2004 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Lindburgh, Try This...

Grif your a clued up fellow I've used your solutions before
However in this case it do't work as Zone alarm has been deleted what is leftis the Truevector

Collapse -
Lindburgh, It Seems Like You Didn't Try My Instructions to Manually Uninstall...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2004 6:52 AM PDT

If you don't have ZA installed, then....If you'll note the Zonelabs link that I provided in the earlier post, there are "manual" uninstall instructions for ZoneAlarm from all operating systems. (Sorry, you still haven't told us the operating system which is running on the problem computer or I could give you a direct link to those instructions.) Here's that link again:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zapInstallFAQ.jsp

The main "TrueVector Service" file is "Vsmon.exe" and it's located in one of the Zonelabs directory locations indicated in that link. There are quite a few other files that must be removed as well. There are also instructions for registry entries that must be cleaned up.:

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Lindburgh, It Seems Like You Didn't Try My Instructions to Manually Uninstall...

Thank you as you will have gathered i'd already tried to install the new version and it failed I took out the old version and it failed I tried to reinstall the old version and it failed I have manually edited the Registry and cannot find entries for True Vector
The system is XP pro the latest
You now understand I hope the frustration No Zone alarm and masses of garbage coming through.

Collapse -
Lindburgh, IF You're Still Getting An Error Message, Then....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2004 1:37 AM PDT

...you haven't removed it all from the machine. It's a simple as that. Until you stop getting the error message, there's no need to attempt a reinstall. The single most important step when uninstalling ZA is to make sure that it isn't running at start up. I'm guessing that you didn't take this step when you originally uninstalled the program.

First, Make sure that Windows Explorer is looking for "All Files" so that all the system files, etc can be seen. Then, boot the machine into "Safe Mode" to do these removals. There are a number of files that must be checked for and removed:

Folders
* Zonelabs
* Zone Labs
* Internet Logs

Files
* vsmon.exe
* vsdata.dll
* vsdata95.vxd
* vsdatant.vxd
* vsmonapi.dll
* vsnetutils.dll
* vspubapi.dll
* vsutil.dll (NOTE: Do not remove this file from any McAfee folders)

In addition, beside finding the listed registry entries in the article below, you should do a search in the registry for words such as "ZoneAlarm", "Zone Labs", "Truevector", "ZA", etc.

Uninstall ZoneAlarm with Windows XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Lindburgh, Here's Another Option
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2004 1:44 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.