General discussion

Truecrypt 7.0A

I've been thinking about encrypting my system hard drive, a regular 500GB Serial-ATA drive, with an AES encryption. I've searched their main site, and forums, but I can't seem to find an answer. Here is my question:

In case I forget my password can I format the drive normally?
Basically saying that can I do a full format and use the hard drive without the encryption in case of loss of password, and I can use my Acronis backup image to get everything back.

I've taken necessary steps to backup:

I backed up my system with Acronis, the whole system drives including partitions of the system drive.

I'm setup on a rig with a RAID 0 so I have two separate hard drives.

My hardware specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 1.73 GHz Quad
Two 500GB Hard Drives Serial-ATA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Truecrypt 7.0A
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Truecrypt 7.0A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm saying Yes, but

I have to wonder how that would work.

I don't know anything about Truecrypt or about encrypting drives in general, but I saw this at their web site FAQ;

I forgot my password ? is there any way ('backdoor') to recover the files from my TrueCrypt volume?

TrueCrypt does not allow recovery of any encrypted data without knowing the correct password or key. We cannot recover your data because we do not know and cannot determine the password you chose or the key you generated using TrueCrypt. The only way to recover your files is to try to "crack" the password or the key, but it could take thousands or millions of years (depending on the length and quality of the password or keyfiles, on the software/hardware performance, algorithms, and other factors). If you find this hard to believe, consider the fact that even the FBI was not able to decrypt a TrueCrypt volume after a year of trying.

So it seems best not to forget your password.

But in answer to your question, yes the drive can be formatted if you forget the password. Everything will be lost.

I assume Acronis will be able to restore a previously created backup, and it has the option to do this from a special boot disk, but if you are restoring an encrypted drive and do not have the password, I fear that will not help you much.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thank You!

Actually, you answered my question. I've backed everything up to separate hard disk. I don't have a problem re-encrypting the drive; I just don't want to start from scratch. Because that's what Acronis does if I'm correct. I realize that I'll have to shred my data, but typically as tech user you want to back up every 2 weeks to a month depending on how much activity has been done.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

CNET Forums

Forum Info