PC Applications forum

General discussion

True Image 9.0 Full Backup

by warrenjhall / March 28, 2006 6:56 AM PST

I downloaded the free trial of the 9.0. What I wish to use this for, is a complete backup of my hard drive, as I have read that Acronis True Image 9.0 is the one to use. When trying the free trial for acomplete backup of my hard drive, I ran into this problem, and have tried to perform the task four times with the same outcome. I hope you can help me with this problem, as I do wish to use the product. But, if I can not get it to work, it is no good to me. The build trial version 9.0 (build 2,337).

At pick a task, I select backup entire hard drive - create (the entire disk) - my C: Win XP - first time backup - entered name for full backup -
backup going to CD-RW drive E LITE-ON LTR-24102M 4DS7 - Backup Wizard create new full backup archive - use default options (I have also tried
the manually) - inserted blank Memorex CD-RW 700 mb (also have tried Imation and Maxell) goes to around 13%, then I receive Error (operation completed with errors, please see log for more details) Log details are, error module 1, code 502 (0x101F6), message = operation with partition ''C''
was terminated. Details: write error (ox70004) error writing the file. (0x40003). Below this is a other error, 100 - 5(0x640005) operation has
completed with errors. Also listed is, warning 100-11 (0x64000B) priority changed to low priority.

If you can help me resolve this problem, and I can perform the the task I require, I will purchase the product.

Dell 2.2 and 3.2 Pentium 4 CPU (same problem om both) One has a LITE-ON (as stated above) the other has a Teac DVD+RW DV-W58E.
Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2
McAfee anti virus and firewall (I have shut these down on one of the attempts to do a backup)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: True Image 9.0 Full Backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: True Image 9.0 Full Backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well.....contrary to popular belief.results with True Image
by VAPCMD / March 28, 2006 3:05 PM PST

appear to be mixed.

Some love it....some hate it.

Might want to drop over to NEWEGG and read buyer comments.

Personally I've used GHOST 2003 for years and to say it's served me well is an understatment. I also have True Image 9.0, an earlier version of True Image 6.0 (?) and Drive Image by Powerquest. I prefer hard disk to hard disk backup as it's fast, easy and I do it...then I back that up to an external HDD. True Image 9.0 and Drive Image 6.0 seemed slow compared to Ghost. The one thing Ghost 2003 didn't do was incremental backups. I'm also going to take a good look at NovaBackup from NovaStor which appears to do it all ... including incrementals and restores to clean hard disks and that's what I really look for ...getting back up and running from a crash or disk failure in the least amount of time. No searching for CDs, product keys and serial numbers for yours truly. Believe NovaBackup 7.3 has a trial version too so it might be worth looking at. I used it years ago with a tape drive and it worked great. Only thing is it didn't have the restore from scratch feature at that time and now it does.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
True Image 9.0 Full Backup
by warrenjhall / March 28, 2006 9:48 PM PST

Thank you for your input.

Yes, have read some of the comments on NEWEGG and other places. I have read some positive input from other news letters I subscribe to. And wanted to update my older backup programs. I also have Norton Gost 2001, Drive Image 2002 and True Image 6.0. I have read about NovaBackup, and will give it a try. On my other PC, I have made a backup to an external HD, then copied to DVDs, using 9.0. I just don't know if I will be able to restore using the Acronis True Image 9.0 Recovery Disk. Have you tried it to recover from your hard drive or DVDs copied from your hard drive? I think, my next step will be to make another portion on this hard drive and try to make a backup to it, then copy to CD-RW disks. But don't know if I will be able to recover, if I have a problem using the media. I dislike giving up on a problem like this, but have spent way toooooooooo much time trying to figure it out.

Again, thanks.

Collapse -
True image and dvd backup
by glennlee / March 29, 2006 2:21 AM PST

True image will only backup to dvd if another packet writing software package is installed (ie InCD, Nero). The complaints about failure with True Image backup mostly seem to center on this packet writing technology. Packet writing to cd/dvd is somewhat problematic at best. I have found that writing the True Image backup image to an external HD is rock solid. If file size is kept to 4g, these files can then be copied to a set of dvd's as the ultimate archival backup (you can store them elsewhere away from the computer). In the event of external hd failure, the backup set can always be reconstituted from the archival dvd backup set, even if another external hd must be supplied. The boot disc generated by True Image brings up a Linux os with the facilities of True Image and full access to all ide drives both fat32 and NTFS, and all optical drives, and external hd connected by usb2. Reconstituting the system image on c drive from an image on an external hd is very fast and efficient: a few mouse clicks, and about 30 min in my system.

Collapse -
True image and dvd backup
by warrenjhall / March 29, 2006 3:28 AM PST

Thank you for the input glennlee.

As you probably read in my last post, I have backed up to and external USB HD, and then copied to DVDs. I just did know if it would work with the recovery disk. You have answered that question. Do not have external HD on the other PC, so guess I will need to get one. I informed the person I was talking to at Acronis, that the other PC has a LITE-ON LTR-24102M 4DS7 [2,1,0]. He told me that True Image has some conflicts with LITE-ON drives.

Thanks again. Your input will help me decide, if I will use True Image or not.

Collapse -
Restore has got to be there when needed
by VAPCMD / April 1, 2006 6:42 AM PST

Backups aren't much good if you can't count on them when it comes time to do the restore. Up unitl products like GHOST and DRIVE IMAGE, there wasn't much if anything that would take backup files and/or image files and do a full restore without reinstalling the OS and the backup SW first.

Have used GHOST 2003 many times to do restores from a second internal hard drive to a main internal hard drive. Very easy, very fast and very reliable especially using the MS-DOS vice PC-DOS. I do everything I can to avoid reinstalling the OS, the drivers, the application SW, updating patches, etc., etc., etc., What I haven't done is use other media like CDs or DVDs or USB externals for image restores.
The other thing is doing incremental backups.....be nice to have that too so I bought NovaBackup to test as a more comprehensive solution. For the moment ..I'll continue with GHOST and experiment with True Image 9.0 and NovaBackup when it arrives.

Let us know what you settle on.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by warrenjhall / April 1, 2006 1:13 PM PST

VAPCMD

Was good to hear that you have had no trouble with the backups restoring from a second internal hard drive. I would think it should work the the same with an external hard drive, which I have on one of my PC. My GHOST is old (2001). Know what you are talking about, with the complete reinstall (OS, drivers and the rest). I just got through doing that for a friend. He asked me what would be a good backup program. Had to tell him, "at this time I have no idea". At this time I have no intentions of trying any others. Let me know how the NovaBackup works out. What type PC/s you are running. I have two Dells (2.2 and 3.2).

Thanks for you input.

Gemma

Collapse -
by warrenjhall / April 5, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

VAPCMD

Just to keep you up to date on what I have accomplished, relating to the problems I had with Acronis True Image. I downloaded the trial copy of NovaBackup. I have ran this program on both of my PCs, and it works as advertised. How nice it was to use a program, and it worked properly with my systems and hardware. I have removed True Image 9.0 from both PCs, and removed all traces of it from my directories. I have ordered NovaBackup on line, and will perform the tasks again after I receive it. Probably not required, but wish to be safe, rather then sorry. Also made the Nova DR boot to Win XP and rescue disks, that work properly. On the Dell 2.2, it took 3 hours and 48 minutes to perform the backup of my hard drive (slow CD-RW drive) and 1 hour and 45 minutes to perform the verification. It took 9 CD-RW disks. The Dell 3.2 was faster (more data but faster drives). Backing up to the external hard drive was a snap, forgot to check the time. I still need to read info for the Nova, to see if I can set files so they are not included in the backup. This could be accomplished with True Image. It looks like I will be using NavaBackup, outstand program for my requirements.

Gemma

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?