Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Trrfki.exe

by colleen / November 1, 2004 2:52 AM PST

Hello again - I am having trouble deleting trrfki.exe from my system. I have used the task master to delete (first disabling my firewall from zonealarm) and then ending all tree processes Yet this still comes up on my system. I have tried looking under Sophos virus analyses to see what they suggest and trrfki is not listed. I am running Windows XP Home system - windowsxp sp1-win 5.1 build 2600.xpspl.020828-1920. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trrfki.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trrfki.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Trrfki.exe
by Echo2 / November 1, 2004 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Trrfki.exe

Dear collen:

I have never heard of this file before, nor could I find it with a google search. Therefore, I believe it must be deleted.

You may have to repeat one or both of these next steps.

First, go to Start, Search, More advanced options. Tick each one except case sensitive. Type in the file name.Click Search.Delete every entry you can.Restart your computer.
Second, go to Start, Run, type regedit. Go to the top of the window to Edit. Go down to Find. Type in the file name. Delete every entry you can using the Find Next feature(if it is required). Restart your computer.

Update and run your antivirus. Then get a second opinion at House Call: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and McAfee : http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
Update and run Ad-Aware and Spybot.
That should do it. If not, we will have to use HijackThis.

Regards,

Collapse -
by swisse / November 1, 2004 3:25 AM PST

Are you sure it's spelled trrfki.exe? No results in google.

Collapse -
by colleen / November 2, 2004 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Trrfki.exe

Hello Swisse - you are correct - I have typed it incorrectly. should read ttrfki. This is an exe file and it keeps appearing.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 2, 2004 11:14 AM PST

Can't find that one with Google either Colleen. Have you tried Grif's suggestions?

Collapse -
Collen, Have You Tried ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 5:44 AM PST

...restarting the computer in "Safe Mode", then manually deleting the file? Use the link below for starting in "Safe Mode" and once it's there, run your antivirus and spyware removal tools again. If they won't delete it, try navigating to the file and deleting it manually.:

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If none of that works, use the program below to "unlock" the file and delete it after a reboot:

Program To Delete Locked Files
http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by colleen / November 2, 2004 1:18 PM PST

Hello all - thank you for your advice. I had spelt it incorrectly it should have read ttrfki.exe. I had tried Griffs suggestion but it didn't work. I tried everything everyone suggested without success. I then tried Symp?? and it found C:windows/system32/odownloadtroj. and I removed it manually from my system. Still got ttrfki so I ran Pandasoftware and it found 9 w32 gaobot.alk worms and 1 sdbot.aim worm. All were disinfected and I will run this again tomorrow. The ttrfki was removed from my task master and zonealarms so this must have been part of the worm

Just another question though - I use MSN messenger with a friend who is currently on AOL and if I'm not mistaken AIM is part of AOL. She has a new computer (4 weeks old) and only found out last night that she did not have a firewall up. Could I have received this from her system?

Thank you all again for your help and support.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 2, 2004 2:25 PM PST
Could I have received this from her system?

"Backdoor.Sdbot is a Backdoor Trojan horse that allows the Trojan's creator to control a computer by using Internet Relay Chat (IRC). Backdoor.Sdbot can update itself by checking for newer versions over the Internet."

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.sdbot.html

Since you listed one of the infections as "sdbot.aim worm", I believe that is a possibility.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?