Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Troublesome icon

by TONI H / March 4, 2007 2:14 AM PST

When I hook up my keychain harddrive (usb) or my external hdd (usb) I get the icon about found new hardware, then the icon showing I can use that icon to safely remove the hardware. This is normal....np

However, I just put together a new system for my granddaughter (XP Home, whereas I have XP Pro), and her boot drive is IDE (40GB) with XP installed along with a 150GB SATA drive that is for program installations, My Documents, etc. and storage.

For some reason the 'safely remove hardware' icon appears by the clock 24/7 and refers to that SATA drive. I'm afraid that she will confuse it with her keychain drive that is coming with this computer and 'remove' the SATA drive without meaning to.

How can I get XP to realize the D: drive is supposed to be there all the time and is not a temporary USB device that can be removed at will and remove that icon until a removeable usb device is manually connected?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Troublesome icon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Troublesome icon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a similar problem. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Troublesome icon

My IBM R-40 laptop with removable DVD drive shows the same thing. Even though it's the only optical drive and it is inserted in the side, the XP-Pro system thinks it's removable like USB. It shows up in Explorer normally.

Maybe because the boot drive is IDE the system thinks the SATA drive is removable? Maybe change the drive to IDE??

Collapse -
How
by TONI H / March 4, 2007 3:45 AM PST

can you change a SATA drive to IDE? Never heard of such a thing.

My XP Pro has three SATA drives with two IDE hdds and two IDE dvd drives and never had this issue. Is this unique to XP Home?

TONI

Collapse -
Not sure that is what Wayne meant
by Ray Harinec / March 4, 2007 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: How

However, There are some BIOSes that have the SATA drives as part of the mobo's basic chipset and also have another chip to provide more.

In one Abit mobo I remember that the SATA ports from the basic chispset, could be installed in the BIOS as IDE [numbered after the PATA's ] and clearly only allows as Master [we know why]. What that does is have the drive show on the IDE portion of the boot screen rather than showing on a subsequent chip's boot screen.

On the boot screen the correct part number for the SATA is shown, and is obviously running as a SATA.

That can be consusing as all get out.

Collapse -
Side note: remember that
by Ray Harinec / March 4, 2007 4:22 AM PST

a SATA drive, is, IN FACT, an IDE drive.

Collapse -
They are also ATA drives.
by Ray Harinec / March 4, 2007 4:24 AM PST

ATA 7 and up include SATA as part of the spec.

Twould be nice if I would think of these thinks so they are put into one reply. LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.