Computer Help forum

General discussion

Troubleshooting the problem Cause.

by kennmoore / January 19, 2007 5:02 AM PST

A few days ago my computer started randomly locking up over night. I'd just restart and it would come up fine. Then one morning I go to access a sata drive that I used for storage and my computer locked up. I restarted it, went back into the drive same thing. I figure maybe there was something wrong with the drive or connection so I unplugged it. My pc started fine. I went to work and came home to my computer no longer booting all the way. It would go to the windows boot screen and and just restart. After swapping that IDE drive into another pc as a second drive windows detected many bad sectors. I realize this drive is done for and then tried putting the sata drive in to see about getting my data off of it. It would spin up but the pc would never recognize the drive as there. This one is probably dead as well. I then Dismantle my whole pc to try and look for any noticable problems. I noticed some black on the power supply and took it appart and found some damaged compontents so i threw it away. I then examined the motherboard and saw no noticable issues with it. I put it back in its case and hooked it up to another powersupply and put just a video card in it, it loaded fine so I hooked up another IDE drive and it recognized the drive fine. I partitioned the drive and then went to go install windows. It then seemed to be having trouble reading the disk in the cd drive and I went to power it off the button was not working. I went to pull the power cord out and plug it back in and as I was just pushing it in, I noticed a smell and heard some crackling coming from the back of the power supply. I haven't turned it back on since. I think this power supply is now spent as well. I'm just not sure why. Any ideas would be much apreciated. thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Troubleshooting the problem Cause.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Troubleshooting the problem Cause.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good story but not enough info, ID of parts needed
by acoxon1274 / January 19, 2007 6:34 AM PST

from each step. My guess and that is all it is, you have a short from motherboard to case or a bad motherboard at this point. Your are now eating up replacement parts, is this computer worth it?

Replacing the power supply would be about all I would and from your post you have done that. Next step, get a second opinion.

Try taking it to a repair place and pay the bench fee and let them tell what is wrong. You may save your replacement parts for your next build or repair. The last time I did this I paid 30 US dollars and was told the motherboard was bad. I saved buying and installing a lot of parts and time. It is your call. Good luck.

Collapse -
what is needed for test?
by kennmoore / January 19, 2007 8:30 AM PST

my mobo is a p4p800e-deluxe with an intel p4 2.8ht.

for this benchmark test did you take your whole rig, or just the motherboard and cpu? and if I just bring the mobo and cpu and they find it okay would agree then that my problem is probably a short with the case?

Collapse -
I may have confused you.
by acoxon1274 / January 20, 2007 3:34 AM PST

Take the computer(case, burnt parts and all). Tell them what happened, and what you have done to fix it. Explain that you want to know what is wrong and not to repair without your okay. The goal here is to find out what is wrong and only pay the bench fee. You want a second opinion, not a big repair bill.

When I did this it turned out to be the motherboard and power supply (I knew this one, the PSU had smoked parts in it). The shop repair person showed me the burnt parts on the motherboard and told me that when a new power supply was installed the test bench breaker popped. I had agreed to at least try a new power supply. The shop did not charge me for the power supply, only the bench fee, 30 US dollars.

I took my dead computer home. I re-built the computer, the only parts I was able to re-use were the case and video card. I believe it was a bad power supply that caused the problem and when it failed the motherboard and the rest of the computer parts were damaged. Why the video card still works is a mystery to me.

Go to this post to see what happened to a person with a similar problem. See what clues they had and what they did. I think it will help you with your computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?