PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Troubleshooting pc problem

by Stoopkid / October 15, 2009 12:14 PM PDT

For a while my computer would stop dead. Screen would freeze, keyboard wouldnt respond, I couldnt even turn it off by holding down the power button. Now im lucky to get it to do anything. A few times while changing out ram i got a boot screen indicating a change in memory, but then it would freeze again. Ive tried my video card and power supply in another computer, and they are fine. Ive disconneced everything but the ram, hard drive, and video card(no onboard). ive even tried without the hard drive, and ive switched ram around. Any every time i get no response. If i have the keyboard plugged in it will light up at the very first moment of powering up, but even after several minutes it will not respond.

So a assume its a motherboard/processor problem. I was wondering what things i can do to troubleshoot. Im actually okay with one of them being a problem, because ive been meaning to replace them. but i would like to be sure that would fix it first.

thanks for any help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Troubleshooting pc problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Troubleshooting pc problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Light on details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

But that symptom is consistent with the BAD CAPS plague (google BAD CAPS.)

Not only you but a lot of members are leaving out details which makes any reply just a bad guess.
Bob

Collapse -
Bad caps
by Stoopkid / October 16, 2009 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Light on details.

I'll look in to that. In the mean time, what other details should I include?

Collapse -
See the words in red.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad caps

Watch as you post for the words in red.

Collapse -
Details
by Stoopkid / October 16, 2009 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: See the words in red.

I'm running windows xp pro sp2. I have a pentium4 (3 ghz I think). Motherboard - intel d915gav. 2 512 600mhz corsair memory sticks. Ati x1050 pcie video card. Westerndigital 80gb hdd. And corsair hx520w psu.

I've been testing all my components in another computer. Everything seems fine psu, ram, video card, hard drive. And I've tried the ram and psu from the other computer and I get the same results. When I put the other computers ram in my computer I did again manage to get the motherboard boot screen telling me about the change in ram. But it froze again at this point. And I can't get that screen back again. I've gotten it about 3 times out of at least 40 or 50 boot ups.

If I've got a case of bad caps, it's not apparant. Everything looks okay and no smells. But from what I read that doesn't rule it out.

Collapse -
smells or swells?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

The symptoms are consistent with bad caps, missing heatsink compound and just bad boards. But remember there were never any diagnostics to test it down to the board so we use the story and inspect the caps to give our diagnosis the best results.

Sounds like a bum board.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.