PC Hardware forum

General discussion

troubleshooting bootup

I am trying to upgrade an old computer's MOBO. I exchanged my old BioStar for a MSI KM4AM-V. I picked this so i could use my old processor until i can afford a new one. My process is a AMD Athlon T-bird. I think it runs at 100 MHz FSB (but not sure). I set it up and it booted up without video. So i tried checking all the connections, the when i tried again it has not booted at all. I press the power sw and nothing happens. I know the PSU is working becuase when i plug it up the fans spin once. I am not sure what is causing it not to boot after it was working. I have tried changin out the pad thinking the CPU was overheated b/c of not having good conduction. But i basically dont have a clue at this point. Any suggestions? Could it be something else instead of the CPU causing this to happen?

Tyler

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: troubleshooting bootup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: troubleshooting bootup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The T-Birds were the first CPU's

In reply to: troubleshooting bootup

to alert people to heat problems and frying CPU's. Did you mount the CPU properly? If you moved it from one mobo to a new one, you should have totally cleaned off any sign of thermal compound from the CPU and the HSF base. Then apply a thin coat of fresh thermal compound and then attach the HSF.

With these models one could actually put the HSF on 180 degrees backwards. Note that the CPU is NOT in the middle of the clamping system.

Also when mounting the CPU, if not very careful to mate the HSF flat, one can crack the CPU. AMD didn't get around to adding heat spreaders to their CPU for a year or two later.

Also note that the CPU is the small, about one sq in device, the remainder is a printed circuit to hold the connections and the wiring to the chip. If you use an electrically conductive thermal compound [such as Arctic Silver], do not let it get anywhere but on the little chip.

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: The T-Birds were the first CPU's

the cpu is old. i did clean it off, but i used thermal pads that didnt seem to work well, and when it boot up the first time it kinda made a mess. the heat seemed melt right through it and there was nothing left except all around it. I used a nail polish to help clean it. (could that or the melted pad have injured the circuitry?) i ended up using some paste instead (CompUSA brand not arctic silver) i have been careful with this though and have not gotten it on anything but the place were hte cpu makes contact.

Secondly, does the heatsink have a directino to be attached? you mentioned 180 degrees rotated the wrong way. when i do it both ways the cpu still has full contact with the heatsink. (so does it matter?)

Thirdly, does its behavior make you think it is the CPU and i have messed it up somehow in the transplant.

Thanks for your response and helping me on the problem.

Tyler

Collapse -
If, in fact, the full CPU is contacting

In reply to: yeah

the base of the heatsink, that's fine. Some of the clamps allowed that to not be the case.

The pad is supposed to "melt", [it's called a phase change material. Changes from a solid to a "liquid"]however if the pad was not the same size as the actual chip it will make a mess. Should only use the pad that came with the retail CPU/HSF. After that thermal compound.

I assume that you meant nail polish remover. If I emember properly, that CPU is made of some organic material. Just a possibility, but possibly the remover was not good to use.

If the power supply hasn't simply failed, then an excessive load at turn on is causing its overcurrent sensors to shut the supply down to protect it.

Best to disconnect all of the drives and extra stuff to reduce the load on the supply, Can even pull out the video card. Remember you are simply trying to see if the supply stays on. If it still kicks off, the CPU certainly is a possibility.

Collapse -
Cleaning the CPU

I think the nail polish remover was a little over kill. The acetone in it will remove just about anything, no idea what it could have done to the cpu. For the heat grease, I've always used a dielectric grease like what's used for electrical connections. (Permatex Tune-Up Grease works great) Do a lot of builds and cpu swaps, always stays there without running. Current cpu is AMD-XP 2800 running at 175 X 2 = 350fsb vs 333fsb, one step increase in all voltages. Idle is around 48c while full gaming load is at 60c.

Collapse -
i thought

In reply to: Cleaning the CPU

i thought the nailpolish was a little too much, so i went a bought a new cpu. but i am still getting the same problem. Nothing happens. The strangest thing. How can i test to see if it is the PSU or the motherboard having problems. I think i will hook up another PSU and see if that works. But if not how do i tell if it is the MOBO that needs to be sent back?

Tyler

Collapse -
i tried the PSU

In reply to: i thought

and i used one of my others. The computer will not boot up and run. HDD, FANS, CPU? But i am getting no video. The motherboard has an inegrated VGA. How do i get it to work?

Thanks
Tyler

Collapse -
sry

In reply to: i tried the PSU

i meant to say that the fans, cpu, hdd and all WILL start up and run. the only thing not working is the video. i tried installing one of my old AGP video cards=same thing. the monitor doesnt even recognize being pluged into the port on the computer or the card.

Tyler

Collapse -
Possibly, with integrated video

In reply to: sry

and no ability to get into the BIOS to disable it, the AGP not working MIGHT be normal.

Can you look into the mobo's manual or go to their website to check???

Do you have a case speaker??? Are you getting any beeps??? Any chance that you made a setting on the new mobo that might be trying to run at too high a speed. That can cause such a problem.

Maybe try setting the BIOS to defaults which should be a safe speed setting [unless somehow mobo jumpers defeat that].

Collapse -
Your statement is really not

In reply to: i tried the PSU

very clear!!! ""The computer will not boot up and run. HDD, FANS, CPU? But i am getting no video"""

Just what are you trying to say about the HDD, FANS, CPU.

Please take the time to make complete sentences, so we don't have to guess what you mean.

I know that you are frustrated, but that we can't help. LOL

The integrated Video should be defaulted to enabled, but without video you can't see the BIOS. No video troubleshooting is simply the worst.

Collapse -
Problem Solved

In reply to: Your statement is really not

Got a new PSU, i needed one that functioned and had a 12V ATX power connecter. Everything works now. Thanks to everyone who tried and helped.

Tyler

Collapse -
Let's try a test here

Unplug the power cord from the back of you power supply, and leave it out for a couple minutes. Meanwhile, check that you have you video card in snuggly, take it out and put it back in, better yet, check all your connections again.

OK, now plug the power cord back into your power supply and turn the computer on, and see what happens. If the computer fires up, then I think your PSU is either bad, or too weak, to power your system.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.