Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Troubles with Norton

by susanac / February 12, 2006 10:27 PM PST

I have one laptop and two desktops. On one of my desktops, it would not do the live update. I reinstalled the software and it worked for a while. Then I started having the same problem again and could not uninstall it. I called Norton. They were very helpful and emailed me an uninstall program which worked very well. My laptop began exhibiting the same problems. I uninstalled N. with no problems.

My other desktop presented no problems whatsoever with N.

I now have other antiviurs software downloaded to my laptop and one desktop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Troubles with Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Troubles with Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another
by murrman / February 13, 2006 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Troubles with Norton

You are just one of the many with such difficulties with this product.And you know what, if it still was #1 in detection and removal, i would recommend trying to work out these problems because you would be gaining the best protection out there.But it's not anymore and it just blows my mind that people continue to use it.And until they start using a better product like Kaspersky,F-secure,NOD32 , it won't get any better.I've had a few cars that were real lemons and i sure wish i could of used the norton PR department to sell it for me.Probably would've got 3 times as much for them!.

Collapse -
Look here--PC World ratings
by golfsalot / February 13, 2006 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Another
Collapse -
What surprised me
by NWRCS / February 13, 2006 9:38 AM PST

in the review was the rating of AVG compared to Norton.
They claimed AVG had the clunkiest intrface, yet that's one main reason I got rid of Norton, the pop-ups, full-screen, dumping open windows, can't tailor it to your needs and wants.

Another thing, don't believe review ratings.
Get second opinions......

Collapse -
Troubles with Norton
by Nanette159 / February 13, 2006 12:04 PM PST

In your message you didn't say if you were running Zone Alarm. You also didn't say if you are running XP, ME, NT, etc. I've found that Norton does not get along with Zone Alarm, and crash's Norton more times than I care to think about.
You also said you couldn't uninstall Norton the second time round. You may have put it in the wrong place (Norton that is) as you should be able to uninstall it using your uninstall program.
Next time my subscriptions are up, I am definately going to use a different AV, so I can get Zone Alarm running again on my XP. However on my 98ME I am more or less stuck with the 2004 version of Norton unless any of the other AV companies have a version that will work with a 98 ME.
Anyway, with Zone Alarm going and Norton as well in the same computer, if you have a 2000 XP, NT, or the old 98ME, the two just don't seem to get along. I am pretty sure there is a way to tweek it so that they will run together but I haven't stumbled across it yet.
Take care,
Nanette

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.