Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Troubles with html language that I didn't insert............

by MarDel53 / May 31, 2008 8:56 PM PDT

I have been maintaining a web site through geocities-pro since 2005 and have never had this trouble until yesterday. I am running Windows XPservice pack 2; and use IE-7.
I decided to change the background on my main page and change the midi file too. I recently upgraded to Windows media player 11.
Yesterday, everything was going fine until (I think-not sure) I made windows media player my default player.
Now when I click on any of my sites with midi files, the files will not play and after right clicking on the page I noticed the following has been inserted on every page that has midi files:

<!-- following code added by server. PLEASE REMOVE -->
<!-- preceding code added by server. PLEASE REMOVE -->
<bgsound src="Sounds/toottoot.mid" loop="infinite">

and I am hoping for an answer/I connect to the Internet via roadrunner and they claim it is not them.
Also, in my file manager program where the midis are uploaded....I click on view all the time after the upload to be sure they play and they do. But as soon as I insert them into the web with the correct html procedure, they do not play on my computer like they use to do. However, when I use someone else's computer who is also connected with roadrunner the files play correctly.
I am thinking it is has to be the media player upgrade and now how do I change this?
Any help here would certainly be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
The 2 uppermost lines ...

are just comment. They don't harm. And I assume the last line with bgsound is what it should be.

About the midi's not playing when asked from a website: can you play a local midi file from WMP 11 (via File>Open). And what happens if you doubleclick on a midi file in My Computer? Does it play then?

Kees

Collapse -
Yes...
by MarDel53 / June 2, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

midi files play on my computer by double clicking on the actual file; where I have it saved; it also plays in my file manager area up on the web; only place they don't play is when I simply go to the web site that has the sound on it. Every page that I have linked to from my index page that has a midi file on it does not play; but when I convert the file to mp3; they play. That coding also has been placed on every page also that has a midi file on it.

Collapse -
They don't play with you ...
by Kees Bakker / June 2, 2008 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

and they play with everybody else, as you say? That's strange, especially if these other people are using WMP 11 also.

All I can advise you for the moment: back to WMP 10. Use system restore if necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
I believe that the
by MarDel53 / June 2, 2008 9:08 PM PDT

other people do not have version 11 of WMP; my daughter doesn't and the web pages play fine on her computer. Just not mine. I even went into My Computer and files and changed the mid and midi back to what played them previously and naturally it still says wmp as that is what played them previously.
I wish I knew of other sites that have midi files contained in them, to see if those sites play on mine.

Collapse -
Something else...
by MarDel53 / June 2, 2008 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I believe that the

I decided to see what is in my temporary internet files after viewing the web site pages of mine with midi files........would you believe they are there? They just don't play.....now I am leaning to the belief that the server has to have something to do with it as the code states? Who puts it there? How did it get there? This is really bugging me.

Collapse -
Those two lines are only comment ...
by Kees Bakker / June 3, 2008 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Something else...

and don't do anything. Can you a link to your side so I can check it myself. I've got WMP 11 on all my XP machines, but an old Windows 98 box is a good comparison.

Kees

Collapse -
Should have
by MarDel53 / June 4, 2008 9:08 PM PDT

thought to give you the site previously, sorry.
The main page is:
www.geocities.com/southhillcommunity

This page plays as I converted the midi to an mp3 file.

Scroll down to the little people pushing the cart and click...
that page has a midi and that page should have music playing for you.

The frog that you click on has a wav file attached and it plays for me.

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / June 3, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Something else...
http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=107187 is interesting. It tells they are playing with volume 0 in WMP11. Also there's mention of Quick Time. Could even be some interference between the 2.
But I would like to see how it behaves with me.

http://cybermidi.com/news/index.php/blog/embedded-midi-files-don-t-have-to-be-evi shows you can add a midi console to your page and have a volume sent to it. It could be this works also for backgrounds. In fact, it could be that 0 is the default volume, and WMP 11 finally does work as it should by using the volume.

Might need some experimenting to find the cause and remedy.

Kees
Collapse -
Also, thought I
by MarDel53 / June 4, 2008 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: And ...

would mention that I went to the 2nd link you have and attempted what he suggested (first suggestion) This made the sound play, however it inserted a player onto the top of my page which I don't particularly care for at all. So I removed his html and put mine back in for you to see it.
Windows Media player help page suggested that I go into Tool/Options/view files and put a check into the mid file box. The check was there.......they suggested removing it/clicking on apply/put the check mark back/click on apply. I did this and still nothing.
Thought you would want to know all of this too. apparently microsoft knows there is a problem.

Collapse -
In fact the chances of a human going near
by Dango517 / June 25, 2008 4:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: midi problem

It took some time to experiment with your problem. I reproduced it with files on a USB-stick, that I could transfer between systems.

The results of my experiments:
- bgsound is Internet Explorer only (as expected). Doesn't work in Firefox. If your audience is average, that means that 20% won't hear anything.
- embed mp3 works works in IE6/WMP9 and IE7/WMP11, but shows a console
- embed mid works in IE6/WMP9 (with console), but fails in IE7/WMP11
- embed in Firefox wants me do a manual (couldn't do it automatically) install of an Apple Quicktime plugin (which I didn't), both for mid and for mp3

Some useful links for you to experiment further:
- http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Technology/Question566680.html confirms the findings above. It recommends using embed with a HIDDEN attribute. I didn't try, but I assume this hides the console.
- http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browsersounds.asp notes the img tag with dynsrc to play a sound (IE only) and the use of the object tag (which might be a useful alternative)
Note that Firefox probably will need the Apple-plugin in any case. This might be confusing for your (55+) audience.

I hope you won't be angry with me if I say that your page (http://www.geocities.com/southhillcommunity/ for anybody interested) ranks VERY high on my list of ugly, unusable and userunfriendly websites. In my opinion, it's really horrible and needs serious rework. And then I'm not talking about the Florida rain in stead of Florida sun (my idea of Florida is eternal sun, but that might be a European flaw in my thinking).

And, finally, the syntax check integrated in my Firefox View Source shows 0 errors, but 117 warnings. That's VERY much for a short page like this, that says that it is created by Geocities home page creator. Software like that should produces flawless html, so I assume at least part of the errors are caused by your own coding. It's a nice task for an ambitious webmaster to reduce the number of errors to 0.

Best of luck with this.

Kees

Collapse -
Feelings aren't
by MarDel53 / June 6, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: midi problem

hurt.......Your opinion matters but I will have to explain.....
Putting that background was a spur of the moment only because the are of Florida I am in right now, has not seen rain in well over a month.
It has been over 100 degrees in the afternoons for the past couple of weeks; only relief is rain at this point.
Any...I really appreciate your help in this and will attempt what you have suggested. The page is really for the people in our community so I am not really worried about others at this point....I have now discovered tha my media player will not play the songs when logged into music sites (BMG music clug) like it has in the past. error; so I really believe this all has to do with the upgraded player.
Yes, I also know Firefox browser's never played the music and wondered why and you have now answered that question. Thanks so much for all of your help.........I will try your suggestions.

Collapse -
I tried it with Real Player got the plug in notice
by Dango517 / June 25, 2008 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Feelings aren't

no up date was downloaded. More then likely because there was no place specified for it to search. No http/, etc. A server debugger more then likely hit a dead spot in the code and throw that in to patch it so it would keep running.

Just start over. You did put that sound code in there I'm guessing. So find a different sound plug in that might work better and add it into the code.

You might look over the Google blogs...hint, hint. Google blogs are much easier to use and code and look a lot better too.

https://www.blogger.com/start

Here are some samples if the link holds together:

http://jewelstyle.blogspot.com/

Click "next blog" for more samples.

They're free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!