Computer Help forum

Question

Troubles with CPU Fan Speed

by ekdy / March 26, 2015 6:59 PM PDT

I'm pretty clueless regarding the advanced stuff about the computer so I thought I'd see if this forum could help me out. My CPU temperature get pretty high (77~85 degrees Celsius) and I thought I'd try and get my CPU Fan to run faster to cool down the CPU so I tried using SpeedFan. I monitored the temperature, CPU Fan speed and CPU usage and it seemed like my fan ran faster as my CPU usage increased instead of the temperature so I tried to fix that by following some instructions on the internet to make it so that CPU fan speed increases as the temperature increases. However that didn't really seem to work.

Can you guys give me some step by step instructions on how to use SpeedFan or another program to increase my CPU fan speed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Troubles with CPU Fan Speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Troubles with CPU Fan Speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Heating issue
by pgc3 / March 27, 2015 12:22 AM PDT

More information on your hardware might help...L/T Desktop? Hardware parameters, CPU,PSU,GPU, Is the unit being overclocked? Again, more info could help.

Collapse -
hope this helps in answering my question
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Heating issue

desktop, cpu - nuvoton nct6776f, gpu - ati video card, psu 450W (?), no overlocking. computer is about 4 years old or so. that's about all I know. if you require anymore information i'll try my best to find it out.

Collapse -
Answer
Clean PC
by Willy / March 27, 2015 12:58 AM PDT

Since, you stated its 4yrs. old, have you ever really opened it up and truly cleaned it? Not only that at 4yrs. the thermal cpu paste should be refreshed(clean and re-apply) for best results. Clean the overall PC 1st, then check results. Yeah, details matter, use PCWizard 201? pgm. to check your system stats.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Tried that
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean PC

Cleaned my pc out roughly a week ago after my computer kept overheating. I also noticed that the thermal paste was dried up so I cleaned it and reapplied a few days ago. It's gotten a little better but when my computer is idle it gets up to 77 ~ 85 but when I'm playing video games that increase my CPU usage quite a bit the temperature goes down to about 50 ~ 60

Collapse -
That's bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried that

Did you try it with the cover off and are the fans spinning normally? At 4 years they may need replacing as these do fail over the years.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: That's bad news.

I have the cover off at the moment and the fans are running fine. It just doesn't run that fast according to SpeedFan. It's running at 1380 ~ 1500 ish with the temperature jumping from 60ish but mainly staying in the 80s

Collapse -
I'd try the cheapest thing possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Replace the fan on the CPU/GPU that is getting hot.

Collapse -
Price
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 1:34 AM PDT

How much would a decent fan cost? Perhaps give me some recommendations as I don't know anything about computer parts

Collapse -
From a dollar to maybe 100.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Price

I've seen fan costs all over the map. It may be cheap in say San Francisco to exorbitant in the Antarctic. I can't guess the costs but given the story it's sounding grim unless the heatsink work was not done well. That is I've seen such and the heatsink wasn't in full contact causing a lot of pain for the owner.

Parts can fail like this and the cost at the shop counter may be greater than a replacement.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll look around
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 2:07 AM PDT

I'll try and search for a good replacement for my fan and perhaps I will reapply the thermal paste in case that was the problem. Cheers

Collapse -
I find that many get the paste on right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll look around
Collapse -
Scanned already
by ekdy / March 27, 2015 2:17 AM PDT

My friend told me about how it could be bitcoin miners that are running when my computer is idle and told me to download MalwareBytes to scan my computer. I installed it recently and scanned my computer and there were a handful of files that got removed but the situation didn't improve. I believe it could be just that the heatsink does not have firm contact with the cpu and so its not cooling down that much. I'll try and push the heatsink more in and see if it will help out.

Collapse -
I use compressed air
by Willy / March 28, 2015 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried that

I realize not everyone has that and generally most other cleaning does the job. i do find though, when i do take "my time" to clean, the results can be very different. I have blown out PSUs and these still reeked of dirt and that more powerful compressed air, gets dirt coatings off as well. If the problem remains after all that, then either a fan just isn't cutting it or bad then I'm able to locate the possible cause. i found the PSU fan itself bad. it just was stuck or failed and that is usually 1/2 of basic cooling for most PCs. The other being the cpu and gpu fans or heatsink combo. let's not forget any possible vent clogs at frt. behind the frt. panel/cover. Worse, if filtered or possible dirt clogs again. Within reason, leaving nothing to chance and blow out all areas and touching all cooling methods, etc.. good luck

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Answer
At that age it's time to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:00 AM PDT

At 4 years it's time to get in there with the canned air and get it clean. It's also time to replace the old heatsink compound.

BUT some machines never did the fan speed according to temperature trick. That's something new for some gear however 77 to 85 C is pretty high. Too high IMO and a sign it's time to do the cleaning and heatsink work.

Yes, a lot of folk will just buy a new PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
connect the CPU fan
by James Denison / March 31, 2015 4:56 AM PDT

direct to a Molex power output from the PSU. That's as fast as the fan will ever run. You might need an adapter for it, or take a fitting off an old fan and splice it onto the wires from the CPU fan. Expect more noise from it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!