General discussion

Trouble with my E-mail program.

My laptop got knocked off it's little table beside my bed. The I-Tunes Harry Potter continued playing without a hitch BUT, my E-mail Icon disappeared. It is a program provided by my ISP. I went to Rogers Yahoo and re-installed but it re-installed under Internet Explorer rather than the Yahoo Icon I was accustomed to, and once I logged on I have been plagued by quite literally hundreds of those yellow and white Do you wish to Install boxes, Real Upgrade from RealNetworks, Adobe Flash Player, DivX Plus Web Player, More Adobe Flash Player. They pop up as fast as they can be refused, sometimes in manufacturers groupings and sometimes in random order. They eventually stop after about 3-5 minutes of Don't Install clicking, but they start all over every time I open my E-mail client.

Anybody got any ideas. It is driving me bonkers.

Rob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trouble with my E-mail program.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trouble with my E-mail program.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What is it?

You write your email program then change that to Rogers email program. Without it's name I fear you have to call Rogers support.
Bob

- Collapse -
The e-mail is via my Cable ISP Rogers, which is allied with

Yahoo. When you do the installation for the Internet Service you get RogersYahoo e-Mail, and Rogers Yahoo Internet and the browser of your choice. What appears to have happened is that Internet Explorer has been activated, and since I've never used it, it keeps activating these add-ons and plug-ins and updates. Certainly the Icon for my e-mail is now an Internet Explorer icon. Fortunately I have a shortcut on my Google Chrome address bar, and I use that most often now because it's well behaved. I keep left clicking and looking for Create Shortcut, but can't find it, nor does Copy work.

- Collapse -
This sounds like an "Internet Shortcut"

Tell us, when you used to click on this icon, (or double click, depending how your system is set up), what opened?

Did an email application open, or did a web browser open, and then immediately your Yahoo email account loaded in the web page?

If an application opened, we need to know which application. If a web browser opened, then this seems likely to be an "Internet Shortcut".

If it is an internet shortcut, and if, when you click this " Icon for my e-mail", Internet Explorer now opens instead of your preferred browser, that is because, every time you open IE it is setting itself as the default browser. You can change that.

Firstly, open IE. Goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Programs tab. Under "Default web browser" remove the tick where it says "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default browser". Click Apply, then OK.

Now, open your preferred browser. Go to it's options, (sorry I don't know what your preferred browser is so I can't tell you how to get to Options), and find the setting which makes this your default browser. Select that if it has not already been selected.

That web icon, (the internet shortcut), should now open your default browser.

Mark

- Collapse -
Just the icon disappeared?

Was that email icon on the Desktop? If so, it is just a shortcut icon. They can easily be replaced.

Mark

- Collapse -
I've been trying Mark, but I've been having no luck.

I can't find the Create a Shortcut entry on my right click menu. Colour me inept.

- Collapse -
What appears to have happened is that the jarring of the

computer seems to have activated Internet Explorer/Outlook Express. Instead of my e-mail coming in via Rogers Yahoo, it seems to come into an Internet Explorer window which also seems to be well and truly virused. I have never used Internet Explorer or Outlook Express on this computer, preferring Firefox and Google Chrome. The good news is that my bookmark on Google Chrome for Rogers Yahoo works wonderfully, The one in Firefox works well. The one which I managed to restore which looks like Rogers Yahoo reads Rogers Yahoo, then my sign in name at RY then reads Windows Internet Explorer. That designation appears in a bar above the URL.

- Collapse -
I don't understand what this Rogers Yahoo is

Is it a browser? I've never heard of it.

What I do know is that some ISPs, (Internet Service Providers), will supply a customised version of Internet Explorer to their subscribers. It is IE in every respect, but just has their own name in the header bar, (the bar you say is above the URL), and it may have it's own logo instead of the more common IE Logo.

Dropping a laptop will not change a default setting like that. It may break the computer, or break the OS, but it will not move or change a bit of data like that.

So, in your Start menu, do you have an entry, anywhere, for Rogers Yahoo?

Mark.

PS, it's time you sorted out that IE problem.

CNET Forums