Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Trouble With Floppy

I've been having trouble with my computers floppy disk. I can take one picture with my camera, Sony Mavica the one you put the 3 1/2 floppy right into and when I put it into the computer it shows 2 icons. One is the normal one that I've always seen and tells me how big the pic is and I can open it and see this pic, but the other one is different and the computer cant read it. It just has the same picture id number as the pic I can see. One of these extras shows up for every pic I take. It was doing this on older disks I had used and erased so I thought it was some hidden files but I bought new disks and its still happening. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble With Floppy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble With Floppy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've noticed this also on some computers

In reply to: Trouble With Floppy

I have worked on. It seems like the camera produces some sort of ID tag with pictures but not with every picture and not all the time. I just tell user to delete the tag. It's a pain to do so and I have no idea why they occur, I suppose only the person(s) that wrote the software know the reason.

Collapse -
Floppy

In reply to: I've noticed this also on some computers

It does not do this on other computers Ive tried with the same disk of pictures. I had my dad send me a disk of pictures from his camera and it does it with his disks also. It started doing this in august and Ive had the camera for years and the computer since 2001 and never had a problem before I loaded the service pak 2. If you take a lot of pictures it wont let you delete the ones it cant read. It just keeps trying to read them until I have to reboot the computer.

Collapse -
The ones I have seen do this

In reply to: Floppy

Had the images loaded onto Cd's at like wal-mart or Walgreen's. Also SP2 may hold the clue also, Sorry, i just don't have a good answer for it.

As for having problems processing many pictures,that could be the inability of your system to do so. depends on the amount of memory and the size and ability of the video card and HDD

Do you perform regular maintenance and use an anti-virus program?.

I would also recommend these to do some cleaning of surfing junk.

HOUSECALL http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

EWIDO http://www.ewido.net/en/

CCLEANER http://www.ccleaner.com/

Collapse -
problem and solution

In reply to: Floppy

If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, your problem is not uncommon. When a single sector on the film starts to lose its magnetic polarity, NT-based operating systems can't read it.

You have a couple options: pop the disk into a FAT-based operating system (Windows 9x or Me), or use a floppy disk data recovery tool. Bad Copy Pro is the best, and I've yet to see it fail, but FlopShow is a competent, freeware alternative.

When you're able to recover the data from the disk, I suggest you temporarily move it to the hard drive and reformat the floppy. If Windows says it can't format the disk, use Flobo Floppy Bad Sector Repair to fix the disk, then format it. You can download the program for free here: http://www.floborecovery.us/downloads.htm

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
problem and solution

In reply to: problem and solution

but the floppys I am using are brand new. How can they not be good.

Collapse -
I had a box of new floppies.

All were dead. It happens. So try an old one you used before.

-> As these machines age, we'll see more issues regarding floppies. Time to move off this media.

Bob

Collapse -
not exactly

Not that they're not good, they just get demagnetized. What brand did you get? Imation is the best.

Collapse -
floppy

In reply to: not exactly

they are imation. I dont think the floppy disk is the problem at all. When I put the floppy in the drive I can see the thumbnails of the pics I took but there is also a copy of the same pic on there for some unknown reason and the computer can't read it. It cant open it for a thumbnail and when they are still icons one looks normal and I can open it to thumbnail and one looks different and I cant open it. I dont even know where it came from. If I take one pic on my camera and put it in the drive it will have 2 icons, not just 1 like it used to have. The normal looking one also has the size of the pic and the other one has nothing. I think I'm going to give up and buy a new camera with the stick. I do thank you for all of your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.