PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Trouble with DVD burn speeds

by msd2 / October 29, 2005 9:44 AM PDT

I am pretty new to this stuff so I am hoping someone is able to help me out with my problem. I recently installed a new dvd burner into my system and while it does a good job of making backups the speed leaves something to be desired. When it first starts to burn it will go up to 3x speed but quickly drop then level off to around 1.6. Doesnt matter if its DL discs or single layer, and I have tried different brands of media. I did change it from being the slave drive to the master on the second ide but it didnt change anything at all. Here is all the info that I can think of that might be useful

Programs used:dvd decrypter and dvd shrink
DVD burner: BenQ 1640
CD-R: 48X
CD-ROM Access Time: 120ms
CD-RW: 32X
DVD+R: 16X
DVD+R DL: 8X
DVD+RW: 8X
DVD-R: 16X
DVD-ROM Access Time: 120ms
DVD-RW: 6X

computer: 750mb ram, 2.6 pentium, 40gb ibm drive.

could it be the hd? i think it is my systems weakest link.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble with DVD burn speeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble with DVD burn speeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's what I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 12:23 PM PDT

I look at the media speed, then set the recorder software to 1/2 that. I rarely see a coaster.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
media speed
by linkit / October 29, 2005 12:49 PM PDT

OK, you have changed brands of DVD media. What about the speed rating on the discs? Are you using 16X media?

What I Use:
Nero Ultra 6.6 software will run a burn simulation to test the media at a selected speed before burning. The downside--it's expensive. Sad

Collapse -
DVD burn speeds
by pcguru4u / October 29, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

Check to see if DMA is enabled on the drive. It is possible that even if it is, the drive only supports DMA33 which will limit transfer speeds and subsequently write speeds. Did you buy the drive new or used? Did it come with any type of burning program with it?

Collapse -
media used and software that it came with.
by msd2 / October 29, 2005 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD burn speeds

The drive was brand new and came with Nero.
The media I have been using is Verbatim 6x for the dl discs and tdk for the single layer discs. Both burn at 1.6x I tried memorex but they were junk discs.

Collapse -
That rings a bell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 9:32 PM PDT

Many dual layer drives could not attain higher speeds "out of the box" or new. The owners had to update the firmware.

-> The same story plays out in ROUTERS, MOTHERBOARDS and other devices.

Bob

Collapse -
Updated firmware
by msd2 / October 30, 2005 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: That rings a bell.

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually did flash the firmware of the new drive when I first got it, maybe I can dbl check and make sure it worked.

Collapse -
Burn Speed
by pcguru4u / October 30, 2005 11:19 AM PST

Nero comes with a Drive info tool that will rate the speed of the drive. Check out whether or not for some reason the drives speed has been reduced from it's rated speed. Other than that you can check out a few websites (cdfreaks comes to mind) where you can check out the rated write speeds of various discs. Some are rated for a much higher speed than they will ever attain.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?