Question

Trouble w/ creating wireless network in dorm,school internet

I am trying to connect my wireless router into the wired ethernet so that i can create a private wireless network for our room. The thing is, my school realizes what you are trying to do and your browser only displays "you are attempting to access (college.edu) network on an unauthorized wireless network. My friend has made it work by turning off the dhcp with his airport extreme and setting it to create new network instead of extend, but after I turn off dhcp I dont know what i should put in for a static ip/ dns/ what to do at all. I can look at all the connections with ipconfig/all , I just don't know the magic things to put in after turning off dhcp to make this work. I have a netgear wireless wndr 3400 n600 router. Thanks for any answers.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trouble w/ creating wireless network in dorm,school internet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trouble w/ creating wireless network in dorm,school internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Check this forum's policy.

We can't do that here. The answer is going to be "Have your school IT staff supply how to fix that."

- Collapse -
Response

No, I can't do that because this is something you are not allowed to do. The mobile internet they provide is terrible though so I always have to plug in if I want to connect without issue. I'm just looking for help from someone who knows a lot about networks and setting them up. I need to find out a way to have my router mimic a computer so that my school doesnt know I have a router plugged in.

- Collapse -
Again, this forum doesn't do that.

The forum policy is very clear here. I'd not be advertising this here.

- Collapse -
Just read them, nope

It's not unlawful, my school just doesn't want people doing it. I am not breaking any laws I'm just asking how to be smart and find a loophole through this.

- Collapse -
It's their rules.

Just like your network you would not like it if CNET helped others gain access to it.

Seems fair, doesn't it?

It's not your network so you get to abide by the rules. If you elect not to, please don't ask others to break in.

Again, the only answer is the ones above and why do I try to answer you? I don't want to see discussions get locked.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
ask friend

If your friend know how to do it ask him to explain.

Really there is no way to guess how they protected their network. If your friend really did bypass it then the college did it incorrectly.

I can promise if they use 802.1x especially with certificates to protect a wired port you are not going to get by that easily, it is designed to only allow a single device on a port and can prevent any router or switch from being inserted.

CNET Forums