Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages

by asgrainbow / April 22, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

For some reason I am all of a sudden unable to view the source on my own webpages... I create a lot of webpages and without being able to view the source I am unable to edit them or add to them...

Has anyone out there experienced this problem and might know why this has happened? I need a solution to fix this problem short of reformatting...

thanks
Rainbow

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages
by ezbesthost1 / April 22, 2004 11:01 PM PDT

You did not state your browser or OS. If we assume that it is Win 98 or newer and IE6 you may restore or repair by reinstalling IE or windows on top of your current files. If you do not have the operating system CD this can be a problem(if that is the trouble). But IE6 can be downloaded and installed without erasing your favorites, preferences, etc. It can also be repaired http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378 for XP or [Start]->[Programs]->[Accessories]->[System Tools]->[System information] then go to the tools menu(98-ME).

Collapse -
Re:Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages
by bergen--2008 / July 9, 2004 2:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Reinstall? Probably not!
by pajamieson / May 31, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

This happens when your cache is full. Try this for a simple solution: delete your cache. Tools - Internet options - delete files - delete offline files.

I bet that works.

Collapse -
Re: Trouble Viewing Source on my own webpages
by alwayLearning / September 4, 2004 11:31 PM PDT

Ran into this a few times with XP but it can probably happen to other OS'es as well.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop that is named Notepad, when you click "View Source" an hourglass will briefly display and then - NOTHING HAPPENS.
Fix: rename the shortcut to something like NotePad2 and it should resolve the problem.

On a sidenote, if you are like me and sometimes use Ctrl-G to get to a specific line number and it stops working - turn off Word Wrap (under the "Format" sub-menu)

Collapse -
Reinstall? Probably not.
by pajamieson / May 31, 2005 6:18 AM PDT

Try flushing your cache. Tools - Internet options - General - delete files - delete offline files

Then try looking at the source again.

Collapse -
thanks
by Mpulir / June 15, 2007 7:24 PM PDT

Thanks to you

Collapse -
Can you explain ...
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

why you need to be able to view the source of your own website in your browser to edit them. You've got a program to MAKE the pages (like Dreamweaver or Frontpage or whatever html-editor you use), I 'd say.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.