Question

Trouble signing onto my laptop; forgot password

I haven't signed on to my laptop that I bought from former co-worker of mine (really savvy with computers) in a few months and I've forgotten the password to log-in. There was no animosity between us after the purchase - he ended up quitting and getting a job elsewhere. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 7 Professional. All though, as evidenced from the bottom of the laptop, he did upgrade the OS at one point from Windows Visa but I am not sure which edition it was. I downloaded the Password Reset Wizard via from my parents home computer on to a new/unused USB flash drive. I clicked on the appropriate drive, typed in a new password, typed it again to confirm and typed in the password hint. After doing all of that, this error message came up "An error occurred while the wizard was attempting to set the password for this user account." Did I do something wrong? And at this point, I am stumped. I haven't been able to get in touch with the former co-worker. Should I call Microsoft and ask for them to send me a Windows 7 disk, buy it online (saw the cheapest price on Newegg for $139.99) or should I try a Windows password recovery tool? If so, which one?

If there any other questions that you might have in order to assist me further, please ask.

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trouble signing onto my laptop; forgot password
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trouble signing onto my laptop; forgot password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
A few points.

1. If this is a Windows Password I use NTPASSWD which is free and takes about 5 minutes tops to clear the admin password. Then I can log in as the admin and clear other account passwords as needed.

2. As to the call to Microsoft, since this is a Dell, it's more likely to be the Dell version so no, Microsoft will not be the company to call.
Bob

- Collapse -
Another question

Is it possible to download a software program on to the home computer (which I've been using) in order to download the Password Reset Wizard on to another USB flash drive so that it will possibly read that its for the laptop and not the home computer? If that's possible, what program should I check out? And if this doesn't work, why? Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Don't know.

Why? Because NTPASSWD is a 5 or less minute free software and since it works I've never had need to do anything else.

Bob

- Collapse -
Not sure

I don't know what NTPASSWD is. Sorry.

- Collapse -
(NT) Did you try it on any search page (google?)
- Collapse -
Used it but had zero success
- Collapse -
I use NTPASSWD a lot.

I boot it, and in less than 5 minutes I answer the questions to reset the password. I'm unsure if any tutorial is required. I can only guess you didn't like the menu (pick a number system, no mouse?)
Bob

- Collapse -
Attempt #2
- Collapse -
Could be a RAID system.

But such are usually run by those that know such. That is, I can't guess this.
Bob

CNET Forums