Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trouble re-installing Windows Me

I was having issues with my computers performance so I decided to reformat my hard drive. Using a startup disk I deleted the active partition, rebooted, created a new partition, rebooted, formatted c:, rebooted. Now when I try and run Windows setup from the cd I have the following problem - Please wait while setup initializes. Scanning system registry... Windows Setup requires 15728640 bytes available on your C: drive. Any ideas what the problem may be??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble re-installing Windows Me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble re-installing Windows Me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Sounds like your C drive is less than 15MB?

In reply to: Trouble re-installing Windows Me

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Sounds like your C drive is less than 15MB?

The hard drive is 40 GB. It is on a Dell Inspiron 2500. After formatting it says available disk space is 38,xxx MB, so I don't understand why Windows Setup does not recongnize this space. If I change the BIOS to boot the CD drive first, I can get setup to run but it says something to the effect of "Windows Setup cannot continue because there are too many files on the root directory of disk". It then recommends to reformat or exit setup. By hitting enter, it starts to try and reformat but stops immediately saying it is unable to do so. I'm confused

Collapse -
You may be tripping up the installer.

In reply to: Re:

Next time don't format the C: drive just remove the partition, boot the ME CD and see what happens.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: You may be tripping up the installer.

Deleted only partitition. Created new partition. Did not reformat this time. Ran setup from CD. Got same error message after Windows Setup attempted to reformat. "Setup cannot install Windows ME on your computer. An error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition." I'm confused because when I had originally reformated from MS-DOS using the startup disk it seemed to reformat without hangup.

Collapse -
Now don't create the partition.

In reply to: Re:

Let's let the Windows installer do it all.

Collapse -
Same error message

In reply to: Now don't create the partition.

I got the same error message again. It created the new partitioning on its own, restarted, and then tried to format drive C: Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Looks grim

In reply to: Same error message

I've seen this happen when the hard disk has failed, isn't on the primary master connection, bad ram and more issues.

-> What happened? What lead you to try installing Windows?

Collapse -
uhoh

In reply to: Looks grim

I was having problems with the computer recognizing my wireless connection and the LinkSys program freezing. Also, everytime I started the computer in would run a scandisk saying improper shutdown detected regardless of shutting it down properly and many times the scandisk would not finish running. And in general, random programs hanging every now and then.

Collapse -
Ahh, boot sector virus?

In reply to: Trouble re-installing Windows Me

Collapse -
It worked!!

In reply to: Ahh, boot sector virus?

Thanks so much for your help. Must have been a boot sector virus. 2 last questions. Should my anti-virus have picked up that virus? And is this virus now gone from my computer; do I need to do anything to get rid of it??

Collapse -
I apologise.

In reply to: It worked!!

Usually we don't have to go to that extreme. I rarely see these anymore as the antivirus programs usually pick them out and you see the messages.

-> Yes it's gone but install a current antivirus, even a free one like Avast.

Glad you kept trying since some give up too soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again!

In reply to: I apologise.

I really appreciate you taking your time to help me through this. Everything seems to be working fine now. I think the antivirus I had on before wasn't very good; it was one that my school made me have a few years ago and I had some problems with it in the past. I'm gonna go ahead and put Norton on there and hopefully I won't have this issue again. Thanks again!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.