PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Trouble Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

by glitch485 / January 19, 2006 4:06 AM PST

I recently built my second computer and I have never overclocked before so I had some trouble overclocking. I went into bios and selected 'overclock profile' instead of 'auto overclock'. I then selected 'Overclock by 10%'. I rebooted, went into bios and then said my cpu was running at 1.7ghz, when my proccessor is a standard 2.0ghz. Why did it go down? If any has ideas please let me know or if you know a good overclocking program.

Thank You

specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8R-MVP Crossfire Motherboard
2GB(2x1GB) Corsair XMS Memory
ATI X1800XL Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster
80GB WD Hard Drive
HP Lightscribe DVD Burner

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
help is here ^^
by bones1807 / January 24, 2006 6:20 AM PST

Yes help is on the way Happy DO NOT select the 'overclock profile' option! bad bad bad hehe! Well this is actually quite freaky as you have almost identical hardware to me, CPU, MOBO, RAM, and GPU all the same Happy Good choices btw Silly

Now instead of choosing 'overclock profile' you want to set the AI OVERCLOCKING option to 'manual'. You will also need to go into your cpu config page and set your HT LINK SPEED to 800mhz, this will allow you more headroom for the overclock. Next up go to the bottom of the cpu config page and select memory config, then memory timings config, now you want to set your MEMCLOCK MODE to 'limit'. Now set your memclock value to 166mhz, dont worry this may seem like its underclocking your RAM but it will go back up later on. You'll also want to set USER CONFIG MODE to 'manual' and change the 2T option to 1T, for some reason this motherboard sets all RAM at 2T by default, dont ask y... it just does :s

Now save these changes and reboot. Then go back to your bios settings, this is done because for some reason this motherboard likes to give you a bad overclock error if you do everything at once.

After the preperation for the overclock now comes the actual overclock Happy Now go back to the JUMPERFREE CONFIG page, where you set your AI OVERCLOCKING option to manual, now you may raise your CPU FREQUENCY setting 10mhz at a time (notice that the cpu multiplier is 10x, this means that the 200mhz cpu fequency is multiplied by 10 to give you your 2ghz cpu clock speed). When you overclock your CPU your RAM will be overclocked along with it, whatever you have added to your CPU FREQUENCY option, add that to the 166mhz setting of your RAM and thats what your new RAM frequency will be. For example if you set the CPU FREQUENCY option to 230, your cpu clock speed will be 2.3ghz, and your RAM speed will be 196mhz (166+30) or DDR392. From personal experience I reccomend going no higher than 230 on your CPU FREQUENCY option, as this is the highest stable clock i was able to attain without increasing the cpu voltage, and an extra 300mhz is a pretty good overclock Happy HOWEVER you may play with your RAM speed, but make sure you dont go too far with it, I'd say a total speed of DDR420 or DDR430 should be safe with your RAM, although these speeds will severly loosen your timings (BAD). I reccomend staying at 200mhz (DDR400) with tight timings, as this will provide better performance than a higher speed with loose timings Happy

I realise that this is A LOT of info to take in, so for reference here are my overclock settings;
HT LINK SPEED = 800mhz
CPU FREQUENCY = 230
MEMCLOCK VALUE = 166
Giving me a CPU Clock Speed of 2.3GHz, and a RAM speed of 196 (DDR392). My memory timings are 2-3-2-5, which is very low (low=good) so this RAM is capable of a lot, but you will have to fiddle with your settings as all hardware is different. DO NOT JUMP STRAIGHT TO MY LEVEL OVERCLOCK! This is merely a template, not all hardware overclocks the same, but this should be a pretty good estimate of what you COULD reach. Forget about your RAM timings for now (leave them all at auto, we'll get 2 those some other time) that is to be tweaked after you get a stable base overclock Happy

Feel free to come back for any advice you need. Also leave your graphics card overclock for now too (if you are planning on overclocking your graphics card that is) as this is also relitively complicated with the x1800xl.

AND REMEMBER! If you get a boot error, dont panic! You have a good motherboard that will recover easily Happy If you get the Overclock failed message, simply press F1 as instructed and take the overclock down a notch. If you get the BIOS Recovery message, simply power down your pc, leave it off for a minute, then power back up, now you will get the Overclock failed message, and continue as before Happy

Also a quick question... What power supply do you have?

Collapse -
Power Supply
by glitch485 / January 24, 2006 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: help is here ^^

That is a lot of information. But thank you I will try it and post something after I do it.

My power supply is 450 watt.

Collapse -
no probs
by bones1807 / January 25, 2006 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

No problem dude. Ok 450w is the minimum recommended by ATI for the x1800xl, so that should be ok. Do you know the exact brand/model of your power supply? The power supply is very important in such a high spec system.

Collapse -
Response
by glitch485 / January 25, 2006 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: no probs

My power supply is Nspire, not really name brand. The model is: NSP-450P4LF12

I tried what you said, didn't work out so well. I did all the initial set up things like set the overclocking to manual all the other stuff. Then I rebooted like you said before I actually overclock, but my computer wouldn't boot up. I had to open it up and move the jumper to clear the cmos. I will try again, but i don't know what the problem is.

Collapse -
response
by bones1807 / January 26, 2006 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Response

Ok then try taking it a bit slower, change a couple of settings at a time, reboot, then change some more.

Collapse -
Re: Trouble Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
by skippy4hammypc / March 13, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

i think i know what your problem is..

when you set the bios to "overclock" your 3800+ @ 10% what it is actually setting the cpu clock @ ~10% of the 2 Ghz wich is aprox 1.8 Ghz so i recomend that you set it to about 100% and see if it runs @ 2 Ghz

if so shoot me an Emial A michael-ou812@live.com

Collapse -
(NT) Check the post dates...suspect you're too late.
by VAPCMD / March 14, 2009 6:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?