Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trouble Logging Into Windows XP Pro (no user, no pass)

by PleaseNoSpam4Me / July 3, 2009 10:07 AM PDT

Hello All,

I got this Dell Latitude D610 running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3, I cant log into it, when it boots up it trys to join a domain (no user specified).

I booted it in safe mode, and tried to log on locally but it does not accept Administrator w/ (blank pass).

I ran a password cracking utility called Ophcrack 3.3 from a live bootable disc. This did not show the Administrator user even being there, it did however show 6 accounts in total. Some of which I'm sure aren't accessible.

Accounts:

1)itsetup
2)help assistant
3)sysdn
4)tseug
5)Support_882833
6)ASP

Opcrack was not able to crack these passwords it displayed "not found". for the account tseug it showed the password being empty. So I tried to log on with the account tseug and a pop said "the account is currently disabled"

I was able to view the file system through the bootable live cd, there was 3 partitions and one was a windows partition and in it's Users Directory I could see several users
including the Administrator account.

So, if anyone could provide a workaround or a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

*side note* the computer is from a old man that works next door to me, he uses it for work but complains that he cant do anything with it when he takes it home, he would like to go on the internet and use some programs at home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble Logging Into Windows XP Pro (no user, no pass)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble Logging Into Windows XP Pro (no user, no pass)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would I use ophcrack when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 10:11 AM PDT

For years I've used NTPASSWD for free?

Collapse -
Login Problems
by PleaseNoSpam4Me / July 3, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

NTPASSWD Reset's the or Blanks the password of a account correct ? I've read that may cause some problems with encrypted files, as in not being able to access them ?

Collapse -
For encrypted files with EFS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Login Problems

I have yet to read that it caused an issue with that. Even if it did we can pay up at www.lostpassword.com and regain access.

Are you telling us you used EFS without backup of the CREDENTIALS? Are you crazy?
Bob

Collapse -
Just a thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 9:34 PM PDT

Is this computer owned by the people this neighbor works for? That, "he cant do anything with it when he takes it home", suggests it has been set up specifically for work use in a Domain by some Administrator there.

If so, he would beed to discuss this with that person.

Mark

Collapse -
I figured it out myself! haha!
by PleaseNoSpam4Me / July 7, 2009 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought

No need i figured out how to do it, I will tell you how to do it for 99.95USD payable threw paypal, contact me if needed

Collapse -
For years I've done this for zero bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 1:49 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?