HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trouble extracting CleanWipe to remove Symantec

by HopeAnjel / August 5, 2009 7:08 AM PDT

I have tried to remove Symantec Antivirus(Corporate Edition of Norton) from my computer without success. After Contacting Symantec they sent me a CleanWipe program that I downloaded.

Once I tried to extract the CleanWipe files on WinRAR it says there are no files to extract and that the password is wrong. Is it possible that the fact that WinRar is a trial version that may be expired causing the problem? How would I safely find a good version of WINRAR without having to pay for it if this is the problem.

I did try typing in the password instead of copy and paste but had no success. The password was sent to me in an email from symantec so I hope it is right

Has anyone else encountered this same problem? Any suggestions, help or insight is welcomed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble extracting CleanWipe to remove Symantec
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble extracting CleanWipe to remove Symantec
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look again
by Willy / August 5, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

If you have XP or Vista, they provide they're own native extract pgm.. You don't need winrar to do this. You will however need to point to non-winrar usage under the "association" of file types. But, if you like just google away for yet another trial version of winrar to continue this process. You can revisit the Symantec support website and get the .EXE version to download instead of any compressed pgm..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
file association use
by Willy / August 5, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Look again
Collapse -
Looks like it is the password
by HopeAnjel / August 5, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Look again

I was able to remove the WINrar and try to reextract and the password came up as an issue again.

The File I have was emailed to me by their technical support. I have been all over their website and cannot find the cleanwipe. I emailed their technical support but may not hear back.

Do you know where I can get a clean wipe for Symantec antivirus in the most recent 09 version.

Collapse -
Hope this helps
by Willy / August 5, 2009 10:36 AM PDT

The master link I found for removal:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

You can manually remove but you have to go in some order because Norton install more than 1 item. Meaning, one item has to be deleted before another can. You have to be sure, Norton AV is disabled or turned OFF. Goto the control panel and enter the add/remove icon and start deleting what you find that's Norton/Symantec listed.

Here is the link for Norton 2009:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Norton/Symantec removal
by Phil Crase / August 5, 2009 11:20 PM PDT

Download the norton removal tool and run it.

Collapse -
The password is Symantec
by knighthawke69 / June 12, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

The password is Symantec

Collapse -
(NT) The password is symantec
by knighthawke69 / June 12, 2011 1:14 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.