Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trouble downloading IE7

by Jane917 / October 20, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

Last night I attempted to download IE7. I went through all the steps, restarted (shutdown took longer than usual), but when I opened IE, it was same old IE6. I can't find any trace of IE7 on the machine. Any guess what happened?

I am using WinXP2 on a Dell 4700.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble downloading IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble downloading IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jane, maybe there were too many users downloading or
by DarCLew2 / October 20, 2006 1:54 AM PDT

was the box checked for when you download for the installation? It may be in your computer to install, first it downloaded then it installed and then I was prompted to reboot. If it is there use Search for IE7.
On dialup with a 56K modem, it waa about 54 minutes to do the whole setup. Then, I had to organize it. If it is there, installed, check Internet Options in your Control Panel - there is a bigger space for homepage.
PS- - If it didn't finish, do it again, it may be missing something and it should fix it. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Downloading or installing?
by John.Wilkinson / October 20, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

If it is a problem with installing, was an error message presented at the end or did it say the installation was successful and ask you to restart? Some security software, such as Webroot SpySweeper, may interfere with the installation so you must temporarily disable it during installation.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Installing IE7
by Jane917 / October 20, 2006 11:07 AM PDT

I got through downloading and installing with no error messages. I had my antivirus disabled the whole time. When I restarted, there was a bit of difficulty shutting down, but the system shutdown and restarted. There is no sign of IE7 on my machine.

Collapse -
IE 7
by Age53 / October 20, 2006 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing IE7

When i did the down laod I saved it to a folder instead of directly downloading it.
an then I went to the folder opened the program for ie 7 and it installed with no problems.

plus I ahve it saved somewheres I can find it.

Collapse -
Trouble installing IE7
by Jane917 / October 21, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 7

I tried to install IE7 again this morning. I found the download in a folder on my computer. However, the same thing happened that happened the other night. The "installing required files for IE7" (or something like that) just kept rolling along. I have a high speed fibre optic connection. After about an hour, I finally stopped it using Windows Task Manager. My anti-virus was shut down for the process. I would like to uninstall any components of IE7 I have on my computder (I have several files when I do a search), but I am not sure how to uninstall. There is no recognition of IE7 in my Add/Remove Programs. If I can get everything uninstalled I will try with a fresh install. Any suggestions? Thanks. Jane

Collapse -
Search for IE7 Folder
by DarCLew2 / October 21, 2006 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Trouble installing IE7

In that folder is a spunist, there should be an icon in that of the blue E with a yellow ring and if you put your cursor on it and it should say ieRestIcons and
it says that is the uninstallation for Windows Internet Explorer 7 utility. It is located in Windows, the one with the $ list. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Search for IE7 folder
by Jane917 / October 21, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Search for IE7 Folder

I am afraid your response is a bit beyond my understanding. I must have 50 files that in my Windows folder that say $uninstall.....I don't see any icon for IE7 such as you described.

Collapse -
That is correct and there could be one down further IE7
by DarCLew2 / October 21, 2006 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Search for IE7 folder

I had to remove Internet Explorer 7 SP2, I wanted to save and I didn't. But in doing so, I was able to resolve it back to IE6. In Progam Falies is a folder "Internet Explorer" which I opened to delete the files there (one time only) most went but not all.
Then, I used System Restore to when I had IE6. The Icon for Internet Explorer is only blue and it says it is only IE6 - not IE7. On the folder in Programs, check to see if any are IE7's by clicking on properties. PS - Don't forget to remove the one that didn't work. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Although you seem to have IE6
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Trouble installing IE7

I would use System Restore to restore back to a date before you tried to install IE7. That should return the Registry to the state it was before attempting to install IE7 changed it.

Then I would hunt down that download folder and delete that IE7 downloaded file. Then reboot the computer.

I would then run a registry Cleaner, like CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com and find and delete any orphan registry entries.

Finally I would reboot the computer again, then try and download and install IE7 again.

The problem is, IE is so integrated with Windows Explorer and with the Windows Operating System, that finding and removing all of IE7's files that have been installed is near on impossible. So all you can try and do is to revert the system to what it was before, and remove any files and registry entries that are easily removed, and trust that works.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Tried System Restore and CCleaner
by Jane917 / October 22, 2006 5:48 AM PDT

I tried System Restore, but I got a message after the computer rebooted that said ''your computer cannot be restored to:'' I had tried to restore to the last checkpoint before I tried to download IE7, which was a Windows Defender Checkpoint. I moved along and ran CCleaner. Got rid of a LOT of files, leaving only 2 files that referred to IE7. I deleted those 2 files. Later today I will try to download IE7 again. However, I am wondering if I should just download Foxfire instead. I am pretty much a chicken (and very non-techie) when it comes to new programs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jane

Collapse -
Jane, I downloaded it again but saved to program files
by DarCLew2 / October 22, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

I checked the box that on download, close the download.
I put it on a Zip Drive and then installed. That was ar 12PM et. By 1:30 am, it was installed - it was faster than the last time. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Why such a long download time?
by Jane917 / October 22, 2006 8:47 AM PDT

Is it typical to take 1.5 hours to download IE7? I have a high speed fiber connection. Jane

Collapse -
download time is short for you, 56K modem, sending IE7
by DarCLew2 / October 22, 2006 11:03 AM PDT

to ZIP Drive, putting etrust AV on snooze, then installing it, deleting download in program files, setting it up. Also ha to check blocked sites under privacy tab, it had disappeared with the first install & may have been the PopupZeroPro 7.10 which is free for 30 days BUT checkbook is in the red, fixed income, $52 taxes in Dec. and $50 increase in lot rent for trailer. Thought that one payment to finish now and I wasn't in the best of health and erred. But on the good side, plenty of money from food stamps. I was very tired and did not want to make any errors in setup. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Really discouraged.....2 hours later
by Jane917 / October 22, 2006 12:24 PM PDT

I am on my laptop while Windows is "installing required updates" for IE7. It has been installing for 2 hours now. There is no whirring sound from my hard drive to encourage me that something is actually happening. I have never had anything take so long to install. Am I missing something? Should I terminate?

Jane

Collapse -
took some time to install updates the first time,
by DarCLew2 / October 22, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

you had totally deleted that part, you should see a yellow icon on your taskbar and I hope you disabled your antivirus.
You could have unchecked the required updates before the download of IE7. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
IE7
by J_Cannuck / October 22, 2006 3:50 PM PDT

Unless you are on dialup it shouldn't take 2 hrs plus to download.

Check Add/Remove programs (under control panel) to see if you have ''Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803).'' If you don't download and install it, then download and install IE7.

If the problem persists, contact Microsoft support and they will help. Provided your copy of XP is legit.

Collapse -
Firewall?
by Jane917 / October 23, 2006 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: IE7

Yes, I have a legit copy of XP. Should I be disabling the Windows Firewall? The installer tells me to disable the virus protector, but says nothing about the Firewall. Jane

Collapse -
(NT) Goto Support Microsoft
by Bob G / October 23, 2006 12:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
IE7 installation still hanging
by Jane917 / October 23, 2006 11:45 AM PDT

Thank you for posting the MS support site. I had looked all over the site for support earlier, but could not find anything applicable. Your posted site let me to 926716 "the installation of Windows IE7 never finishes." I followed the directions exactly. At first I got a bit excited because I could tell the hard drive was doing something. But after about 10 minutes it was obviously hung again.

In NAV I am turning off the virus protector. Is there something else in NAV I should be turning off?

I have all the latest Windows updates, including the ones for IE7. Jane

Collapse -
I'm not much use here, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 23, 2006 6:50 PM PDT

I've just downloaded and installed IE7.

My downloads end up on my Desktop, (my choice, they are easier to find, but I move them to a dedicated "Downloads" folder after the installation). When I double clicked the installation file, the installer first told me that I needed updates for IE7, and did I wish to obtain them now. I agreed, and then even my installation took a while.

A short description of my PC setup. I have ZoneAlarm firewall that I did not turn off. I have AVG Free anti-virus that I did turn off. I have a broadband connection, and a network icon in the System Tray, (near the clock), so I can see any internet traffic in or out, although it is just flashing icons, no details.

My "Windows Updates" settings in the Control Panels Security Center is set to "Notify me but don't download or install them". Perhaps you could check yours, and see if you have turned off Automatic Updates completely..

Back to the installation:

After I accepted that I needed updates, I saw my network icons flash intermittently, showing that some traffic was coming down. The Installation window didn't show much.

But then I got the small System Tray "Windows Update" shield icon appear. When I hovered the mouse pointer over it, the message said I had updates that would not be installed until I restarted the computer.

I didn't restart then, because I knew from posts here that I had to wait for the Installation window to tell me to restart. Nothing much seemed to happen for a few minutes, but I knew things were happening, because my Desktop icons would refresh themselves ocassionally. I'm not sure if this happens to everyone, or if it is just my system, but this happens often when my Windows Updates are installing themselves, as if the installations are updating my whole screen display.

Eventually, after some minutes, I got the message in the Installation window that I must restart the computer, and would I like to restart now?

After the restart there was no indication that anything had changed, except that the IE icon had changed.

I'm not sure how much use all this is to you, except as a check of the progress you might expect to see. One thing though, as you are on a dial-up, your download of IE7 updates may take so much longer.

I'm sorry I can't be more definite about this.

Mark

Collapse -
I have a high speed connection, not dial-up
by Jane917 / October 24, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

Thanks fo ryour detailed explanation. I don't have a network icon in my system tray, at least I don't think I do. I do not have Windows Automatic Updates turned off, and I am nodt quite clear why that should affect installing IE7. My hunch is that NAV is preventing the installation, but at the NAV site I am not seeing any support for the problem. I disable NAV from the system tray before I start the installation. I wonder if I should be disabling something else, but I don't know what. I have NAV2006. Jane

Collapse -
Dial up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 24, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

Sorry Jane, I must have been mistaken as I thought I had seen you say you're on a dialup connection.

As your Windows Update is on, there should be no difference. I thought there might be a problem because in my case I wasn't expecting to see the Windows Update shield in my System Tray just for the IE7 updates during the installation, and so if you had turned your WU off, perhaps the updates would not have downloaded, so stalling the installation.

As to Nav, I disabled my AVG through the System Tray icon as well, so it's strange if your Nav is still preventing the download and/or install of IE7 if it is disabled at the System Tray. Unless Norton's AV doesn't fully get turned off at the System Tray, but that doesn't make sense. I know firewalls don't. They always have basic protection running. But not AV's. But then I am not sure why the instructions need to tell us to turn off AV anyway. It's quite poor that Microsoft products are treated as viruses by anti-virus utilities.

You could try something else. If you restarted the computer and booted into "Safe Mode with networking". This only loads up basic Windows components, and Norton's AV may not load up. That way you could attempt the install again, and if you need to download the installe file again, the "with networking" will allow you to connect to the internet.

I'm not sure what else to suggest short of uninstalling Nav completely, which I'm sure you would rather not do.

Mark

Collapse -
Long Shot that may work, delete NAV for now, download IE7
by DarCLew2 / October 24, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

then reinstall NAV2007. Darrell Lewis
I knew you had WGA, I also had my firewall(WINXP's) running. So it could be a part of NAV2007 since even a high speed connection wasn't the problem and that does narrow down what could be causing this.
I wonder if you could download IE7 in Safe Mode? I am not that knowledgeable but someone here could have an answer for that. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Downloaded Firefox instead
by Jane917 / October 24, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

I gave up on IE7, and downloaded Foxfire. Took less than 5 minutes and no hitches.

Collapse -
says it all
by Billy T / October 25, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

Your last post must be a sign

Collapse -
What a chain of letters!
by Aivas / October 25, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: says it all

Somebody should send this entire string to Microsoft, for their understanding of the non-techie response to their problems. In fact, this entire string, properly edited, would be a great comedy skit. What a perfect punchline from Jane at the end!

Bob K.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to provide some humor
by Jane917 / October 25, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

The sad part of the humor is that I am not as non-techie as I may have implied. I am an educator, and move easily around cyberspace. I use MS Office with ease, and even developed a Power Point presentation once. If I am having trouble installing IE7, then millions of other people must be too. I refuse to spend more hours trying, when a 5 minute alternative is at my fingertips. I live in Washington state, so maybe I will just go give Bill a call. Thanks for all the support. Jane

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very Good Choice.
by Larry38 / October 25, 2006 6:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?